Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Snow Sucks

Can't Win

NJ is in a State of Emergency. Over 80 roads closed including Rt. 80, MASSIVE flooding, roads washed away, sewers exploding from internal pressure, whatever that is. Entire towns under water, people being rescued by jet ski, hook and ladder, bucket loaders. I've been watching the water rise in my yard for two days now living on the lake, my sump pump is running constant. Last time we had a flood was the first one ever, EVER and it was in 2000. I lost my boat, my dock floated up, the entire contents of the basement. When the lake rose over the retaining wall and crept up the property, oil burner, hot water heater, freezer and contents etc. etc. not to mention personel items that you can't replace. Stayed home today to try and prepare even though I should have been at work helping others. Went to start my generator in case the power goes out, forget it. Borrowed one from a friend and I have a new sump pump on the shelf just in case this one has an attack. Carried 40+ cinder block out on to my dock to try and weight it down. Best part...................it's around 7" so far, still raining/snowing and it won't crest for another day or two. The water is now up to the bottom of the docks, another 16" and I'll be carrying everything from the basement to the garage. Consulation...............the 62 was apart in the garage in 2000 and I had a friend on standby with a roll off, this time it's not here. GOD, I am SOOO depressed, SOOO tired and SOOO sore.:hb

Dam Bro...

Hang in the Lou, I really don't know what else to say Bro... Dam I hate seeing bad things happen to GOOD PEOPLE :mad

Bud

Having been through a flood in 77 I can sympathize with you. My son is trying to travel to Philadelphia, but can't get out of Cambria County (closer to Pittsburgh) This whole storm sucks. Wish I could help you out, but hope for the best.

Rowdy1, Wish I lived closer so I could help you out. I know that desperate feeling and when we get older it gets worse. We just got our power back after another foot of wet snow brought down the power lines. I think I'll move to Mexico. Does any one speak Spanish?

Thanks All...............

I'll be OK as long as I get at it crack of dawn with the hand truck. I appreciate the kind words and true feelings from you all. I'll post when I can tomorrow.;)

Lou,

My generator usually requires a little attention after sitting for awhile too.
All I have to do is drop the float bowl cover and drain the old gas out and run some fresh gas into the carb. Starts right up after that.
Good luck with the waterline. I hope this blows out to sea real soon.

Damn, I had heard the east was getting hammered, good luck Lou. I usually run my generator once a month for an hour or so just to keep it up to snuff, if they sit too long you will have problems with them. Had to run it about a week ago we lost power in the AM someone must have hit a pole. That Generator has paid for itself many times over.

Rowdy1 - Sorry about all of your rain down there. Floods are just nasty. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again! Your problems make my 14 inches of new heavy wet snow not so much to deal with any more.....

Bruce - Now just where did that SPRING go to????

Well...............

It's 5:30AM Tuesday and guess what? It's still raining:W The generator I had was an "old" faithful that I've had for a good many years. It runs fine and I only used it for the sump pump in the past when we lost power but the problem with it is the pull starter is seized and it's not worth fixing. I'm OK with the one I borrowed yesterday, haven't lost power "yet" and the pump is still pumping so I still have the new one on the shelf. My concern is the rising water from the lake coming up over the retaining wall and filling the basement like in 2000. So this morning I'll start with the freezer, washer dryer and everything that isn't nailed down and try to hand truck it to the garage. Part of the problem is the State can't lower the dam to let more water out to save US because it would cause even more flooding to everyone down stream through many towns. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Lou,
i'll send you a PM with my phone#, in case you need me to run over to you after work. OK ?

We got lucky: 1 foot under the road, river is high but doesnt look like it's going to crest over the flood stage this time around.. The sump pump has been running 24/7 and thank goodness didnt give out.. Phewww.

:w
-Stefan

We have you in our prayers.

Rowdy1 - Sorry about all of your rain down there. Floods are just nasty. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again! Your problems make my 14 inches of new heavy wet snow not so much to deal with any more.....

Bruce - Now just where did that SPRING go to????
VetteLuv, Where in central NY are you located?

Well here it is a year later from when i first posted this thread and guess what. Snow still sucks . Gotta love it ay? Dave :w :beer

:bar

Well h

Well Dave you gotta love it. Put the chains on your log truck and you can go straight up any mountain. Raining like mad here. Hits the roof goes down the gutters and I dont have to shovel it.

well here in chgo we had almost 50 and rain and wind then it froze all in 24 hours

Well here it is a year later from when i first posted this thread and guess what. Snow still sucks . Gotta love it ay? Dave :w :beer

I feel no desire to love snow. I still hate it. I hated it last year- and incidentally, this past Thursday was the 1 year anniversary of the first blizzard of the season we got here last December.

But I've made plans. Winter shall have no sway over me! I'm escaping it's cold, cloying grasp at the height of it's powers. Sun and warmth for me this January!
:D

-Patrick

Way to go Patrick. Hope you enjoy the winter in the warm sun. Weather turned on us yesterday morning from rain and 44 degrees at 6 am to 25 and snowing with the wind blowing at gust to 40 mph. Still have approx. 15 inches of snow , even after the rain. That should make for an interesting day with the log truck. Been working 4 1/2 miles out in the bush, rain freezing on the logging trails will make it a little more of a challenge. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all . Dave :w
VETTES7-1-07BOTHCARSINSHADEWITHDAVE.jpg

:bar

Way to go Patrick. Hope you enjoy the winter in the warm sun. Weather turned on us yesterday morning from rain and 44 degrees at 6 am to 25 and snowing with the wind blowing at gust to 40 mph. Still have approx. 15 inches of snow , even after the rain. That should make for an interesting day with the log truck.

Time to bump this thread a bit. To cheer myself up, given that my Corvette is garage-bound at the moment with all the ice on the roads, I've started checking the weather channel's website regarding my vacation stops.

Forecast today for Kona, Hawaii:

Partly cloudy, with a high of 81-degrees. That's short-sleeve weather!
:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom