Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So Sick of Winter

Haven't seen double digit temperatures in almost a week... Everything is a shitty color of white! UGH... :cry

After sleeping on it I realize I wasn't very nice posting what the weather is like here since what all of you are going through isn't something to joke about. I don't know how you survive. I do hope it gets better soon.

After sleeping on it I realize I wasn't very nice posting what the weather is like here since what all of you are going through isn't something to joke about. I don't know how you survive. I do hope it gets better soon.

No worries, if you can't joke about it, the weather will drive you insane. :)

Up here ya can't shovel fast enough .I had 6 feet of snow on part of the shop when roof joist started breaking .Able to get some snow off before my son's new Harley and the vett got squished .Spent all day shoveling off all my roofs with a team of volunteers .Fortunately it's only -70 with the windchill today .

April 1st the vett comes out no matter what the weather is .:thumb Thats right NO MATTER WHAT .

On Saturday, it was 75-80 degrees here in OK. My wife and I spend most of the day cruising with the top down.
Cold weather came in yesterday with ice/snow last night. I'm looking at white stuff on the streets and yards this morning and 23 degrees.
Our driveway has a 1/8" of ice on it. Good day to light the fire place and watch TV or read a book.

Checked my emergency supplies and I have 93 rolls of toilet paper :thumb

I'm not trying to rub it in but seeing all of the snow pictures on this thread, I decided I would post one more showing what it looks like here. To be honest, it looks like this most of the time with the exception of the bare trees. You're all hoping for spring to arrive soon, we're hoping for more rain soon.

001 (3).jpg

I'm not trying to rub it in but seeing all of the snow pictures on this thread, I decided I would post one more showing what it looks like here. To be honest, it looks like this most of the time with the exception of the bare trees. You're all hoping for spring to arrive soon, we're hoping for more rain soon.

View attachment 20748
Batman you don't need rain ,when the snow in the Northeast melts California will be under 4 feet of water .:thumb

Iroc2vett, be sure to put a trickle charger or battery tender on that Corvette or you are very likely to find it dead in the Spring, and it doesn't take long for that to happen. There are many things still running in the car even though it isn't turned on. It won't take long for the battery to die so if you don't already have one, please get one today and hook it up! You do NOT have to start the Corvette at all during the winter. Just leave it alone! :)

By the way, I see you're a member of the Club Corvette of CT. They are a great group of people, and I know many of them very well. Wouldn't miss their July show either!

Elaine

GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

No problem, Elaine. As you can see by this picture, I have a CTEK tender hooked up. I started it on Saturday and let 'er run until the oil temp got up to about 180°. I try to do a complete engine start and warmup once a week. I read this is best to do for a car in a state of 'semi-storage.' So it's probably not going to move until at least late next month, weather depending of course.

Thanks about the club. We work pretty hard to put on the show in July. There's at least 2 days of prep work just to get the Moroso parking areas cleaned and set up. We all have a lot of fun. Last year, I did assistant judging for my first time. It was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to helping to do it all over again. Last year, I think we had 188 cars show up. Perhaps I'll see you there this year :w

View attachment 20750

No problem, Elaine. As you can see by this picture, I have a CTEK tender hooked up. I started it on Saturday and let 'er run until the oil temp got up to about 180°. I try to do a complete engine start and warmup once a week. I read this is best to do for a car in a state of 'semi-storage.' So it's probably not going to move until at least late next month, weather depending of course.

Thanks about the club. We work pretty hard to put on the show in July. There's at least 2 days of prep work just to get the Moroso parking areas cleaned and set up. We all have a lot of fun. Last year, I did assistant judging for my first time. It was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to helping to do it all over again. Last year, I think we had 188 cars show up. Perhaps I'll see you there this year :w

I'm glad you have the trickle charger. That eliminates any need to start the car!!!

Oh, you will definitely see me at the show in July. I haven't missed it in I don't know how many years. Will be bringing my 05 Daytona Sunset Orange convertible. See you then, I'm sure.

Elaine

Actually, I still like to run the engine about once every week to 2 weeks. I read this is best in a article about doing semi-storage. Doing this drives moisture buildup out of the exhaust, keeps the rings and bearings formed and the seals lubricated. I run the engine until the oil temp. reaches 180°F. I did this when I semi-stored my IROC for the past decade. IMO, I think it's best to run the engine now and then if it's going to be sitting for a few months.

Actually, I still like to run the engine about once every week to 2 weeks. I read this is best in a article about doing semi-storage. Doing this drives moisture buildup out of the exhaust, keeps the rings and bearings formed and the seals lubricated. I run the engine until the oil temp. reaches 180°F. I did this when I semi-stored my IROC for the past decade. IMO, I think it's best to run the engine now and then if it's going to be sitting for a few months.

Don't forget to keep the gas tank topped up to keep moisture from building up in the fuel tank.

I know someone that parked his Corvette every winter and ran it until all the temps stabilized each week. He never topped off the gas tank so the moisture built up in the tank and rusted the fuel pick up and other metal parts in the tank. After a couple of winters of doing this, the rust started breaking off the fuel pick up and other metal tank parts. This finally clogged the fuel filter enough to cause fuel starvation at high RPM which caused the cylinders to go lean and burn head gaskets. This allowed water into the oil pan and vice versa which lead to the engine blowing up.

After a new engine was installed, the lean condition remained until the fuel filter, fuel pick up and fuel sender unit in the tank was replaced.

FWIW

Don't forget to keep the gas tank topped up to keep moisture from building up in the fuel tank.

I know someone that parked his Corvette every winter and ran it until all the temps stabilized each week. He never topped off the gas tank so the moisture built up in the tank and rusted the fuel pick up and other metal parts in the tank. After a couple of winters of doing this, the rust started breaking off the fuel pick up and other metal tank parts. This finally clogged the fuel filter enough to cause fuel starvation at high RPM which caused the cylinders to go lean and burn head gaskets. This allowed water into the oil pan and vice versa which lead to the engine blowing up.

After a new engine was installed, the lean condition remained until the fuel filter, fuel pick up and fuel sender unit in the tank was replaced.

FWIW

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I've read about problems associated with not having enough fuel in the tank. I generally stop running the engine when the gas gauge starts showing about 7/8ths of a tank. I topped off the tank with a top tier gas before storing. And, I put in a small amount of Sta-Bil fuel conditioner. But, I don't think it was enough. A number of members of my club are very hot on a product called StarTron. So I may pick up that next time I'm out running for errands.

I did this type of thing with my IROC for 25 years and didn't have any problems. The other thing is I believe my gas tanks are made out of plastic. So at least the tanks won't rust. I know in boat storage it's imperative to make sure the gas is topped off before storing for the winter. Otherwise, the condensation can cause all sorts of headaches.

I figure by the time I get to 7/8ths of a tank, the winter season will be mostly over with. So if it sits for a while after that, it won't be for too long until I can get it back on the road again and head for a gas station.

I just started up Mr. Z. It's been about a week and 1/2 since the last startup. I also dumped a 1/2 bottle of Star Tron in the tank. Hopefully, this'll negate any corrosive issues when my fuel level drops.

It was so nice to hear that engine roar back to life! Come on spring!!!

So the engine is running as I write this. The resonance coming from the garage into the house is quite lovely.

Finally!!! I'm back in the saddle again!

I finally did it! I couldn't take it any more!! I was actually able to get mine out today.:Steer

I did a quickie pre-flight check, removed the chocks, disconnected the tender and headed out. I drove to the gym then did a highway run before the school buses and rush hour traffic. It was sunny out and my icy Ho Chi Men like driveway showed enough pavement so I only went sideways just a couple of times. I gave it a small boot, got up to 80-90 for a bit and just reveled in it all. All the roads were nice and dry. And it's filthy from getting it stuck in the driveway before. So I wasn't concerned about it getting dirty.

It's amazing how it feels after not driving it for 3 1/2 months. Going from 4 Japanese squirrels in a metal box to the Vette! Wow!!! What a experience driving a car like this is. It was 45°F out, windows were down and the heater cranked up! Back in the saddle again!:beer :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom