Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

some electrical problem?

zachh

Corvette
1979 black 'n' silver L82 1978 Trans Am Y88
So, I got a few new extra guages and a 700r4 transmission. I had the whole center console taken apart to replace the shifter and wire up the guages and transmission. Since I had that all torn apart, its put back together, and the car is runnin. I notice that when I plug the battery in there is a crackling sound (a little poppin sound, or a buzz that sounds like a radio isn't catching a station). This is all with the key OUT of the ignition. Also, the radio turns on without the key in the ignition, but it doesn't pick up any stations. If I leave the battery plugged in, it drains overnight to where nothing happens in the morning when I ty to start it. Y'all are probally sittin at home reading this thinking: "wow, this kids gotta a problem, im stumped!" Is it something i disconnected by accident that I need to fix, something i need to replace, or am i just screwed. One of my friends bought a switch that connects and disconnects the negative cable he bought from somewhere- i can find out where he got it. Ive got no idea whats goin on.
Should i buy the switch and just turn it off when the is sittin. I would like to fix it if possible. Any advice?
Happy Holidays
zachh

I had a very similar problem when I reinstalled the tranny in my car. One of the black wires with a large eyelet was hooked tothe positive connection of the starter instead of being grounded on a clutch housing bolt. The popping sound I had was the hood light switch frying and burning up. I believe you have hooked a ground to a hot connection.

Just like Curtis says. You hooked something negative to an alway positive connection. Or something that is always positive is directly grounded. And if the battery is drained overnight this means its going fast (also the crackling sound, those are amps you hear (so to say). Normally a fuse would blow but there are a couple of items without a fuse as the starter. You also want to check the cigarette lighter (it has a fuse but I don't know how many amps.)
IMO a negative switch is for people who are to lazy to look for the electrical problem in there car.

Groeten Peter.

there should be very little drain on the battery when hooked up, the positive lead from the battery runs down the trans tunnel be sure you haven't shorted it out or cut into it. You also said you replaced the gages but you didn't say what you replaced or with what. The only drain on the battery on a pre-computer car will be the clock.

I added an oil temp and a trans fluid temp guage. The trans guage is electric so I needed a "keyed on" source so I just tapped off the pink wire goin to the power window switches. I dont have the underhood light connected to anything because the hood is removed. The wire is just cut an hangin with a wire nut on the top, could this be my problem? Or, do I have the starter wired up wrong, the car starts and runs fine, so could I have a ground messed up somewhere? I want to fix it, but if i can't find or fix the short, will the negative switch work?
zachh

I am almost certain you made the same mistake as I did. There is a ground wire with a large eyelet on it that is supposed to be on one of the bell housing bolts as a ground.It is just long enough to reach the starter positive connection. That is where I first put mine, and the radio played and stuff worked without the key and the hood switch fried. I believe that wire is actually a ground for the dash. I took it off the starter positive and grounded it and problem solved. It was a black wire. Maybe somebody could tell us how many wires are supposed to be on the starter battery terminal and what color they are and that would provide more clues as to whether something is hooked up wrong. It only makes sense that it is a wiring problem as this condition surely did not exist before. Just too much in common with what happened with mine. Good luck.

I don't have the under-hood light connected to anything because the hood is removed. The wire is just cut an hanging with a wire nut on the top, could this be my problem?

The original under-hood light works with a internal switch so there is always a constant + on the red wire. When you just cut the two wires and they make contact you'll also have the same problem, I don't know if the under-hood light is fused? Easiest way is to start there and separate the red wire from the black wire :)
If you have a volts and amps meter you can pinpoint the problem. The negative switch will also work but not solve the problem. I would not be happy with a car that shorts out somewhere. If you got some sparking over there I would not feel that save in my vette.

Groeten Peter.

I added an oil temp and a trans fluid temp guage. The trans guage is electric so I needed a "keyed on" source so I just tapped off the pink wire goin to the power window switches. I dont have the underhood light connected to anything because the hood is removed. The wire is just cut an hangin with a wire nut on the top, could this be my problem? Or, do I have the starter wired up wrong, the car starts and runs fine, so could I have a ground messed up somewhere? I want to fix it, but if i can't find or fix the short, will the negative switch work?
zachh

Were is the crackling coming from? So you have a sensor somewhere on the engine for the oil temp right...where? Also you installed a sensor for the trans fluid sensor...where?

Try disconnecting the wires you hooked up for the oil temp and trans temp sensor. Doe it resolve the problem? If not it has nothing to do with those two things. We can move on to other things.

You just mentioned the starter...why did you wire that??

Jim

The sound is coming from up front. The guage sensors are in the trans pan and the oil pan. I dont think they have anything to do with the sound because I tapped off the power window circuit and it still happens with the fuse out of the power window circuit. Im sorta afriad of a more sirious short when im drivin and something starting a fire. Thats not good!

Were is the crackling coming from? So you have a sensor somewhere on the engine for the oil temp right...where? Also you installed a sensor for the trans fluid sensor...where?

Try disconnecting the wires you hooked up for the oil temp and trans temp sensor. Doe it resolve the problem? If not it has nothing to do with those two things. We can move on to other things.

You just mentioned the starter...why did you wire that??

Jim

swapped the transmission out so I had to remove the starter.
zachh

sorry, I did the same thing as Curtis, I put the ground on the same starter stud as the battery cable. Im sorta mad because I thought my 3 or 4 year old battery went bad, so I bought a new one that I didnt need.... eh, it wouldiv gone bad one day.
thanx
zachh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom