Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Some have had questions about C4 prices...

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
This was in this month's Corvette Fever "On The Block" column:
A few late-80s coupes sold at bargain prices. Included was the sale of an '87 coupe at $5,500 and an '89 coupe at $7,300. The original list prices of these models were $28,000 and $31,500 respectively!

_ken :w

I don't understand it Ken. These are great cars. Possibly their condition was so-so? I have recently looked at cars from those years in the 10to15k range and worth every penny and beautifully kept vehicles.
Go Figure:confused

As it says in the article, "...sold at bargain prices." ;)

Did the article say what the mileage was? I don't find it unusual for a high-mileage 13-15 year old Vette to be going for $7k or less. A local used-car dealer who did the state inspection on my Vette told me they never pay more than $5-6k at auction for any Vette with over 100k miles on the odometer. They might then resell it for around $9k.
[RICHR]

Cheap

I got mine for 6k w/69k on it--full documentation, great condition. I saw one around here, an 85 go for $3500 with a few interior rips and a small oil leak. I'm now looking at a 90 ZR1 for under $20k...this car sold new for over $60,000!

KMCE

I think you got a good deal and you even get to keep the carb when you are done.:D
They are so much damn fun. I had mine out today and every time I drive it I love it even more. Something about the smell of rubber and that growl when I pull away. I even got to play a little whoop tushie today on a poor rustang.
BTW, what does kmcewon mean?
--Drew:w

>BTW, what does kmcewon mean? <

I don't know kmcewon means, but kmcewan is short for Ken McEwan

I'm going to try to get the vette inspected with the carb setup, but will be replacing it sometime this summer with a CF setup.

Lots of work ahead.

Ken

Paid $11,000 for mine. It had less than 65,000 miles on it. Weird thing is, I paying more for my Camry XLE than the Vette'.

People just don't believe it, they think that Vette's are cars for wealthy people, but a Vette' is very affordable. A common question is "How much did you pay for that?" When I tell them, they always say, "No way!"

It had the customary paint chips on the lower front bumper and a little cosmetic imperfections, but as for mechanical, it's been few and far between in terms of problems.

This past week I saw a guy with a nice looking '88 coupe with (obviously) new tires. I struck up a conversation with him about the tires and he told me he bought it for 5K last summer.

Then he proceded to tell me that the 4+3 was bad and had to be repaired (4K), one loight stopped retracting, new tires, etec, etc.

The bottom line is that he paid 5K for it and has sunk 6K into it and the interior still needs to be repaired.

You get what you pay for.

I guess it depends on what you want. I like doing the restoration even if it costs more in time an money.

By the time I'm through with this restoration, I'll know allot more about what makes the Vette tick.

Ken

You DO get what you pay for

I bought mine for 6k, I put 2 new tires on it and got it aligned (best $$ I ever spent), under $300. She runs like a top. I put the chip/stat/fan switch for about $250--now she runs like a fast top. It was very well cared for and documented but it does have the paint chips on the hood, sun cracks on the bumpers and overall orangepeel that you would expect for a car that is 18 years old. I took it to a local "good" bodyshop and they quoted me $5000 to paint it. I about choked!:eek I said, "I only paid 6 for it--if I sink 5 more in the paint I would be afraid to drive it, much less park it!" I think I found a friend of a friend with a body shop that is willing to do a good job for $2500-$3k. I'll let you know how it goes.
--Drew:w

I bought my 84 vette 4 years ago for $5,000, it had 100,000 miles on it. I have redone the interior,suspension,misc. engine work myself & all I have to do is get it painted. My friend is going to paint it for me as a favor for $1,500 & I will have about $10,000 total invested. Not bad for a 84 that will look like new.

I always buy high and sell cheap.

Heck, I would be happy to sell the 90 six speed right now with the miniram engine and spare stock engine to any takers for $9,000.

The problem is these cars are fairly complicated, and as they get older they develop all kinds of problems that are hard to track down and cost major bucks if required to go to the dealer.

This "what if" factor drives the value down. Why would you pay $15,000 for a low mile clean 88 model when there is no guarantee that it will have any less, or less expensive problems than a high mile 1992 model?

The last time I checked, the dealer charges the same labor rate, and G.M. charges just as much for the parts no matter what the car is worth!

I agree with you on your points. But, you have to remember that since a lot of Vette' drivers are older, they probably have experience dealing with cars with hands on knowledge. So problems faced by not necessarily mechanically sound Joe's like me, would be no problem for those hands on guys.

If all goes well, I'll have another Vette' by the end of the year and I'm looking into a 1990 L98 because I don't want to get into, at least it is to me, the more complex LT1 motor. I hear the guys talking and saying that the LT1 has more HP than the L98, but I'm not really into that. I'm more specifically looking for a 6 speed but I haven't seen any in the classifieds.

My next choice would be a C3 because the parts seem to be cheaper. C3's are very affordable and I think they're still hella cool.

Any dealers labor rates are pretty much highway robbery. Last time I asked, the guy wanted $90 an hour for labor. For that much, I'll force myself to learn it and learn it quick.

i'm happy with my 87....

i bought it about 3 weeks ago and paid 14,5 for it with 32k in miles the car is pretty close to mint and i'm real happy with it! matter of fact i took the top out and cruised to the ocean yesterday it was a blast! :D most standard labor charges is 54.95 an hour at a dealership just look for the big sign that says labor fees...lol

69MyWay said:

Heck, I would be happy to sell the 90 six speed right now with the miniram engine and spare stock engine to any takers for $9,000.

Argh! Where were you last fall when I was looking??? I'd have jumped all over that in a New York minute.

My 86 cost me $5k with a nearly-new paint job and both tops, and I've dropped about $3k into repairs and mods. I would have rather had the 6-speed, but couldn't find many C4's for sale when I was looking (except on eBay, where people don't know the value of a car).
[RICHR]Y

Hey Rich, Nikki didn't know she was getting a Corvette Christmas present yet at that time either. :L

69MyWay said:
I always buy high and sell cheap.

The problem is these cars are fairly complicated, and as they get older they develop all kinds of problems that are hard to track down and cost major bucks if required to go to the dealer.

With this in mind do you think that an early (90-92) ZR1 at a cheap price now (around 20k) will be worth more in years to come? Or should I just buy your miniram 90 now.:D I've done a lot of reading lately and IF something goes wrong with the engine of a ZR1 the repair bill from the dealer will be ungodly!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom