Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare Fob Transmitter

Donpat

Corvette
02 convertible & 06 convertible
Just purchased a C6. Is it possible to carry a spare fob transmitter in the trunk? In the event that the keys were lost, a spare trunk key could be carried in a wallet to get to the spare fob. If the fob is stored without the battery the program is lost. How can the transmisson be insulated? Thanks

Does anyone know how a spare fob can be stored in the trunk in case original is lost? If the battery is removed in storage the program is lost.
Perhaps the spare can be wrapped in something to prevent it from sending? If this is possible,a spare key could be carried in wallet to open trunk and get at spare fob.
Sure, just throw the FOB in the trunk. There are no sensors there so you'll be just as locked out. ;)
Carrying the trunk key in your wallet isn't a bad idea as it allows you to get into the car. Or, you could tape a spare key to the underside of the car somewhere, then retrieve it when you're locked out from the FOB deadbattery, RF interference or the planets align or whatever...:D

You didn't say what year your C6 is. I know that for 2008 and newer, you cannot carry the spare fob in the trunk as the car won't lock while there is a fob in the Corvette. If you have a vert, the trunk will open with the dash button if the fob is within sending distance. I don't think the 2005 to 2007 fobs have the same systems, so placing it in the trunk should not be a problem.
Barrett

You didn't say what year your C6 is. I know that for 2008 and newer, you cannot carry the spare fob in the trunk as the car won't lock while there is a fob in the Corvette. If you have a vert, the trunk will open with the dash button if the fob is within sending distance. I don't think the 2005 to 2007 fobs have the same systems, so placing it in the trunk should not be a problem.
Barrett
It is a 2006 convertible. How can the transmission from the fob be insulated? thanks

You could keep the FOB in the trunk, but I'm pretty sure I read on here at CAC on one of the forums, that the FOB should be at least 10 feet away from the car when not in use. This is due to the fact that the FOB would be in range and somehow this can drain your battery. I'm sure someone else here can elaborate on this for us.

It is a 2006 convertible. How can the transmission from the fob be insulated? thanks

... store it in a lead lined box???

that the FOB should be at least 10 feet away from the car when not in use.
The distance is based upon the FOB battery strength. (Also walls or other barriers.) We first tested FOB signal strength back in early 2006 with various Corvettes. We found a FOB w/a new battery could send a signal, recognized by the car from 40' away. This was "line of sight" but it was still 40'.
This is due to the fact that the FOB would be in range and somehow this can drain your battery.
Yes, the FOB will continue sending/recieving signals from the car until the battery(ies) die.
I'm sure someone else here can elaborate on this for us.
Done!:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom