Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire is it real or legend.?

I would change the spare every so often. Sure, it isn't exposed but every 15 -20 years wouldn't be bad. Yes, you have AAA but so what? What will they change it with if the tire is flat? Now you have to be towed in. If you have a good spare, they can change it if you are willing to wait. I wasn't so I changed it myself.

im thinkin aaa would haul you to the nearest tire store...lol
but at nite or on Sunday a spare would be nice...:w

I'm guilty!!! Never looked there.

And I was feeling so good today.........:eek:hnoes

im thinkin aaa would haul you to the nearest tire store...lol
but at nite or on Sunday a spare would be nice...:w
Yes they would but if that store has no way to fix your tire and doesn't have another one for you? Either way, there is a wait time.

If I had to rely on a spare tire up my backside to protect me from a wreck, then I guess I'll just keep pounding the beer. Make my own spare tire, if ya know what I mean.
Seriously, I've checked on mine from time to time. Its still there, I even washed it, before cranking it back up. I didn't like the naked look of the missing cover. Kept the tire just in case. I don't race my car so I guess the extra 50 lbs wont harm performance.

If I had to rely on a spare tire up my backside to protect me from a wreck, then I guess I'll just keep pounding the beer. Make my own spare tire, if ya know what I mean.
Seriously, I've checked on mine from time to time. Its still there, I even washed it, before cranking it back up. I didn't like the naked look of the missing cover. Kept the tire just in case. I don't race my car so I guess the extra 50 lbs wont harm performance.

guess ill go to the tire store and ask them to service my spare..
see what they will say...
:chuckle

My spare was in it when I got the car from my neighbor. Took all of 5 minutes to get rid of it. Have everything stored in the garage just like the car....

tcxd40

:thumb
On the late cars that had the RPO N84 "spare tire delete "option ,
the factory installed a large alum box section in place of the spare for crash absorbtion

This is correct. I ordered my '96 new with the Spare Tire Delete option and received a $100 credit on my window sticker. I also do not have a jack or tire iron.

I do shine up my aluminum box brace when I have a chance. Without the spare tire, the back end is really clean looking.

If I get a flat, I will be calling my insurance company's flat bed towing company.

The spare tire and/or box brace is a "crush zone" for the rear as Jason & Glenn mentioned in earlier posts.

AFTER LOWERING YOUR SPARE TIRE, BE SURE TO SEE YOUR CHIROPRACTOR! :D

curious...

Is it mounted on a saw blade or is it one of those little donut tires? :confused

It is a verrrrrrry small tire and steel wheel. Just big enough to keep the body off the ground while mounted on the car.

AFTER CHANGING YOUR TIRE, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

spare tire delete

hey guys, after reading all your posts, i decided to check mine out, it was there.....flat but there i removed it and put the cover back tight however, all this talk about a delete option, anyone know where i could get the aluminum bar ? or box whatever it may be? can i get a picture? i would like to have one of those just in case:D thanks guys

:w

related question

There's a little light down there by the spare, right? I've never been able to get mine to light up. I swapped out the bulb and that didn't work. What's the secret?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Jim S. :w

There's a little light down there by the spare, right? I've never been able to get mine to light up. I swapped out the bulb and that didn't work. What's the secret?

i actually saw my spare last week during an oil change..
yup
its in there...lol:boogie

who has never seen their spare tire except me.?...:rotfl
is it a hassell to get out.? or not.?
dont think bad of me..i am disabled with a screwed up spine and avoid unnecessary backage if you know what i mean...:w

Me too (courtesy of a drinking driver). But I'm alive, he's doin' a Beethoven imitation - DE-composing. Not my fault tho'... Now I got 2 twisted sticks, and one shorter than the other. And if I run too fast (as if I could run again
frown.gif
WAH ), I'd go in a circle ;LOLCourse, some said I only had one oar in the water before, so not much changed there nope ;LOL

Speaking of spare, I do have mine back up, with the car on the auction block. BUT, the tray/panel isn't all the way up. I need a pic to see what I've got wrong.

Anybody?

Two Ifs , if your yr spare is the same setup as a 90 ,and if that is the spare tire I see, then you don't have the tire in the tray right.

Glenn
:w

Regarding your "spare tire" light... mine was not working either (1992 convertible). When I went to replace my carpet, in the right rear (passenger side up by the hinges) compartment area I noticed an electrical connector that had corroded over time (due to water leaking in) and had a few wires that also had broken loose. I went to Radio Shack and bought some "Molex" type male/female connectors and cut out the OE connector and my spare tire light started working again! I also replaced the rear weather stripping, which is why water was getting in during hard rain storms.

CG

I had to put my spare on 1st week I had it, it's a pain, but doable. I was lucky I guess, still had the bag around the jack, and all tags in place, your right if you can see the spare it's not in the tray. back to the tire that went flat, took it off cleaned and checked for leak, never found it put it back on never went flat again.

Me too (courtesy of a drinking driver). But I'm alive, he's doin' a Beethoven imitation - DE-composing. Not my fault tho'... Now I got 2 twisted sticks, and one shorter than the other. And if I run too fast (as if I could run again
frown.gif
WAH ), I'd go in a circle ;LOLCourse, some said I only had one oar in the water before, so not much changed there nope ;LOL

Speaking of spare, I do have mine back up, with the car on the auction block. BUT, the tray/panel isn't all the way up. I need a pic to see what I've got wrong.

Anybody?

good attitude...:beer

donut?

Anybody?

That doesn't look like one of those little "donut" spares to me. That looks more like a real tire. Maybe that's why the tray won't go all the way up.

Am I seeing it wrong? :confused

That doesn't look like one of those little "donut" spares to me. That looks more like a real tire. Maybe that's why the tray won't go all the way up.

Am I seeing it wrong? :confused

That's the one that was in there when I bought it. The whole carrier came out the next day looking for a clunking that turned out to be rear sway bar bushings.

I don't remember that it was below the level of the rear valence when I bought it, and I went over it pretty thoroughly.

Ideas?

Spare ??

After 22 years I checked mine, Too say the lease, it was flat,, So I put air in it and tucked it back in the place it came from.. BUT,, I was thinking, What if I did have a flat, and put it on, NOW,, what do I do with my big 17" flat tire??? I'm driving a 87 convertible. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom