Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire

What's the status of your spare tire?

• As stock, everything in place

Votes: 215 58.7%
  • Carrier in place, but the tire isn't in it, or isn't always in it

Votes: 41 11.2%
  • No spare or carrier, cell phone and AAA

Votes: 72 19.7%
  • No spare or carrier, run-flat tires

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • Dude, I have an extra tire? Cool!

Votes: 16 4.4%

• Total voters
Not going back with mine. I have all the goodies, just don't want it hanging under the car, besides my tires woudn't fit in the bucket anyway if I'd put the spare on.

Mine's all there, except I have a full size spare instead of the donut one that is stock on a 79.

Mine came with the carrier missing, drove it 1800 miles home!

My 82 has everything from the factory in place. I just removed it the other day. By the way, did 1982's come from the factory with a temporary tire. thats what mine has. as for AAA, don't need it. That's what brother's are for!!!

Hi

One other little thought.
I heard some rumors that removing the spare is dangerous in case of a rear end collision as the spare tire will somehow protect the fuel tank acting as a damper between the crossmember and the rear.

What do you think about this ?

Günther

I can believe that. I also think any weight in the back is a good thing to keep the rear tires glued to road on launch.

Mine has everything in place, I haven't taken the cover off to see if there really is a tire in there. Maybe I should do that, maybe it full of money!

All there for a 71', Goodyear white letter, carrier and lock. But you didn't ask about the jack, tire iron, spring and rubber dognut.

I debated the issue a few times. Currently, I have removed the tire and carrier.

I would rather carry a 'plug-type' fix-it kit and a mini-compressor. (My new Saturn Sky has no spare tire, but a compressor and tire-repair sealant.)

If your tires are in good shape, I doubt that you would have a sidewall problem or instant blow-out. In the rare case of that, I'll be the gearhead on side of the road, waiting for his spare tire to come.

As a bonus for no tire/carrier, I have less weight onboard, and you can see the new suspension stuff under the car.

My spare is in place and as-installed at the factory. It doesn't look like it has ever been pulled or mounted.

If I ever get a flat, AAA gets a call. :D

I have had my '71 since the early '80's . It had a Firestone Wide Oval for a spare.Thought I'd use my best Goodyear Eagle ST {circa 1984} but it doesn't fit in the spare carrier.

All original on my 79. I had to pull the carrier and spare down so that I could drop my fuel tank to acquire the build sheet.

I have the original spare tire that came on the car from the factory in '81 still hanging under the rear in the original carrier fastened w/ the original brackets. I fill it w/ air every three or four months, as it has a slight leak. The tire is an ugly full size radial looking thing.

I have a '73, any concern over protection to the fuel tank by removing the spare and carrier on this or other C3's?

All there as original. I didn't open up the carrier for several years after getting the car. When I did I was surprised to actually find a spare tire and wheel in there, wheel looked retty much like new except for being a little dusty.

Also, for those of you who think a compressor and fix a flat is sufficient (like I have in my '04 Z06). I had a flat tire on my '01 Camaro SS a few years after I bought it, I was on the interstate and had to drive maybe a half mile to where I could get off on the shoulder and then limp along the shoulder for another half mile or so to an exit ramp, even though I was driving slow the tire came completely off of the rim - fix a flat wasn't going to do much for me then.

Just curious how many people here have their spare tire & carrier in place, and how many have removed it?

Also, for those who have removed it, do you jsut trust a cell phone and AAA, or do you have run-flat tires?

And, out of curiosity, if you have run-flats, what brand and model?

Joe

When I bought my vette the entire spare tire carrier was missing. I plan on buying a complete new setup but it will probably be next year before it happens.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom