Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark Plug Wire Ohms Question

I checked mine last spring on my C5. I was changing the plugs and ohmed the plug wires while I was in there just to make sure they were OK. Here's the results I got:
I also checked all the plug wires with an ohm meter:
Plug wire resistance-
1-287 2-269
3-260 4-286
5-278 6-275
7-270 8-261
Those were all in Ohms no K Ohms. If you had your meter on the 20K or 200K range and it read 5.5 then you got 5500 ohms. That may be normal for a C4, I'm not sure.
One thing to consider, an ohm meter only uses 9VDC at most while your spark system is many THOUSANDS of volts. So, it could ohm out OK but still break down at high voltages when the motor is running. Plug wires are cheap, put on some new ones!
STW, Dave

Got a whole tune up kit coming from mid america this week. Willlet you know how I make out.

:bar

The easy way: Just measure all of the wires. If one of them is a bunch different than the others, you've got a problem!

You shouldn't be able see any carbon tracks on your rotor, or inside your distributor cap. Even a tiny one will give you a problem!

The "dark-night" inspection technique is a good one (with your under hood lights off, of course).

:w S.T.W.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom