Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark Plug Wires

G

go16

Hi - I need to get some new spark plug wires for my 1990 and was wondering if someone could give my an idea on what kind to get. I came across some Borg Warner CH869SP and didn't know about the quality of these.
Thanks

P.S. This is not for the ZR-1

I went with Accell. You may want to check out the search engine. Taylor has also been mentioned quite a bit.

I had a set of Taylors on my 90 for 2 years without a problem. I went with a set of MSD supercondutor's when I replaced them.

I run TPIS and haven't had any problems with them, but there are other good ones out there too. This is in the 84. Now for the ZR-1 we have very limited choices.

Went with Magnecor 7mm wires, D.U.I. distributor cap and rotor, Dyna-mod ignition module and Denso Iridium plugs.

Talk about a big difference, but then again, the other stuff was a little burnt!

I had nothing but trouble from accel when I used them on my camaro. They fell apart when they got hot. I use MSD now

I put a set of Taylors on my 88. So far I like em. I chose them because I wanted red. See pic here Theres nothing wrong with AC delco wires. They are top quality wires for a stock ignition.

OK - Thanks everyone for your input. I' ve got a pretty good idea now.

Gary

I use the taylor 8mm wires, they are the correct lengths and fit in the stock looms perfect, and the ends are already made up just plug them in.

Thanks Jeepie for the info , I'll probably go with those !!!

Your welcome, one more thing. Most of the looms will probably break when you touch them, so plan on ordering a few, also it is a real PIA the route the wires the same way they are in there, so plan on taking your time. I used a piece of rope to pull them through and then tied the new wire on and pulled it back. It will take you a while.
Oh yea, the GM p/n for the two position looms is
12043158 I think they are about $2.25 each.
Good luck.

Same suggestions for an LT-1? I am planning my shopping list for next month. On the list:
Bosh platinum +4
TPIS air intake (from radiator side)
TB air foil

-Mike

Topless,

I just installed the Bosch +4's with a set of AC Delco wires. The plugs were $5.99 each and the wires were $39.99 for an 8 mm set. It really sounds and feels smooth, no complaints here.

As for the air foil, check out eBay. I got mine on eBay for $30.00; shipping was like $5.00 or something like that. They have those in the catalogs made the name brand companies that cost almost twice as much, but I think they're the same thing. It took me about 10 minutes to install it and I did notice a louder exhaust tone. Some people might doubt how much improved performance you get, but you can't lose anything for $30.

Thanks BullWinkle.

I am not sure about the worth of aftermarket wires, especially at 2x the price. 8mm Delcos will probably be enough with the +4's.

I will keep my eye out on ebay [a dangerous place to loose your paycheck(s)]

Mike

Mike,

I asked the guy at the auto store if Delco wires would be a good combo with the +4's and he said yes. I believed him and I don't regret it either.

Yes, eBay is a very dangerous place to lose your paycheck. Before you know it, you've spent too much!:D But there are deals on eBay. I bought my FlowMaster catback off of eBay for $350: 2 mufflers-stainless steel tips and a rear y-pipe. The system is brand new and never installed by the first buyer. I haven't installed the system yet, but that should be done in a week or so...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom