Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spiral Baffles, before, and after

F

fasterthanu

Just curious... Has anyone with the hooker headers/sidepipes on their vettes, run the 1/4 mile before and after the spiral baffle inserts? Just curious what this change alone will do... I know the headers/sidepipes are restrictive, not allowing the car to breathe, and I am reading from everyone that they DO make a BIG difference. Just wondering if anyone has any 1/4 mile times to back it up.. I am ordering my set next week..

*1976 L-48, hooker header/sidepipes, dual quads, full race cam, 2500 stall speed, 700R4 trans*
Installing a new set of ProAction heads, opened up =) first week of July. Heard from these boards that the stock heads come so smogged up, that the engine can hardly breath. Upgrading 3.08 gear to 3.70....

Don't know but I'd like to find out too. Is it Hooker that makes these spiral baffles? Ive never heard of them. Have you heard how they sound?

fasterthanu- just sent you an email but for everyone else here's my take on them. BUY THEM! :D I had the hooker mufflers for a long time, they sound good at first but soon lose that nice sound and when they rot out they rattle and sound like crap, then they rust to the inside of the tubes. Since I did a motor swap at the same time I installed the baffles I can't say what difference there was however the guy who owned my motor before drove my Vette and he said it actually ran better, and everyone at the shop liked the sound better, he had a 67 with factory sidepipes. Here's a page with some sound, the top 3 are mine.

Shark Sounds

The people who have put their cars on a dyno have reported big gains over the hooker mufflers. I had the chance to see/hear a 68 with Hooker sidepipes this week that had CCI inserts and although it sounded good it was WAY too loud to avoid the local police attention. So what we have is that Hooker mufflers are junk, CCI's are way too loud, the STS baffles are just right IMO.

Hi Scott81

Nice sound .
The second file , when releasing the gas from 3000 RPM has some kind of metallic noise .
Is this normal as it doesn't sound so good, or could it be the spiral turbo mufflers ratteling inside the tube ?

I'm presently running the Hooker reverse flows and had the Hooker glass packs previously installed in my 68 427 big block. Both don't have any metallic sound when releasing the gas.

I was thinking to get the JCL mufflers, but if this is normal, I might go back to glass packs.

Thanks for all info.
Gunther

Is there a web site for sts? I just tried to do a search but came up empty. Where can you buy them, Summit?

Thanks for the link. They look pretty impressive and the consensus seems to be all positive here. I think I'll be buying a pair myself. Thanks again.

Gunther- I see what you mean, right after the rev it sounds kind of tinny. Never really paid attention to that as they do sound so good. It's not the baffles being loose, they bolt down and fit snug inside the tubes. Maybe it's the way my video cam picks up the sound, I'll go fire the car up tomorrow and see. If you mean the very end of the movie then it's just my bad editing skills, just bought the camera and played with the software.

I know everyone has their own preference, but even if the baffles sound tinny after a rev I still like them better than the hookers. I was talking with Olivier this past weekend and he said they might not like them in Europe as they are probably not going to meet their strict noise level limit...I still need to find a way to see what the decibel levels are without buying another tool I'll only use once.

i too wanted to get a set of the JCL bafflles but found the price prohibative....so i took out the reverse flow inserts and and cut 2/3's of them off and put them back in and what a nice sound they make and only 1/3 rd as restrictive !!....you want quiet you gotta pay with loss of HP,,,you want HP you gonna hear it,,,aint NO such thing as a free meal..remember that...go to a drag strip,,hear any quiet cars ..??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom