Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Squealing from engine!

R

rubberman15

I have a '99 Coupe hatchback with an automatic & 65K miles. I have a bad squealing sound from the engine area. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the tensioners, guide and belt, but it is still going on. It does not make the sound when I start up or just idle, but when I am driving and I accelerate. It sounds like a belt, but that was also replaced. Speed also does not make any difference, but I notice it once I am over 30MPH (cold or warmed up). Dealer thinks it may be a component, but they are not sure. I am not getting and warning notices and there was nothing when they hooked it up to the computer.

This all started about 2000 miles ago.

Has anyone had a similar situation or have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I have a '99 Coupe hatchback with an automatic & 65K miles. I have a bad squealing sound from the engine area. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the tensioners, guide and belt, but it is still going on. It does not make the sound when I start up or just idle, but when I am driving and I accelerate. It sounds like a belt, but that was also replaced. Speed also does not make any difference, but I notice it once I am over 30MPH (cold or warmed up). Dealer thinks it may be a component, but they are not sure. I am not getting and warning notices and there was nothing when they hooked it up to the computer.

This all started about 2000 miles ago.

Has anyone had a similar situation or have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I had a similar problem with my 1999 C5 coupe (white also......). The idler pulley (not the tensioner) under the alternator (there are two - the defective one is under the alternator) was defective and caused the squeal / squeak. There was a TSB which instructs the dealer to replace it with a revised / updated part which is stronger to resist crushing of the bearing race.

Here is the link for the TSB: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=258

When the idler pulley was replaced according to the TSB, the noise in my car was eliminated.

I hope this helps - good luck.

I have a 99 as well,, same noise. I had my belt replaced last week ,, no difference :( I read that it could be the crank pulley. That will be my next try. It makes noise while it's cold, but after driving for awhile it is much quietier..

hi guys, there is a service bulletin on the tensioners for both drive belts, you my want to look into this it may help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom