Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter

81 Corvette

Corvette
1981 Pearl White
**** me off.

about two years ago my started pooped, so i replaced it. then about 4 months later it wouldn't mesh with the flex plate, so i replaced it again. later i had issues again and ended up having a shop replace the flex plate and starter. this was in feb.

now after 8 months of problem free starting, i went to take it out, and the starter sounded horrible when starting. sounded like once again it wasn't meshing with the flex plate. I was like wtf. I didn't even feel like messing with it, so it is now at the shop getting looked at.

any thoughts

When you replaced it, did you re-install the starter brace from the forward end of the starter to the block? Many shops don't want to fiddle with the brace and throw it away instead of re-installing it. If you leave that brace off, the starter nose can't carry the cantilevered load of the armature and case, and the nose cracks, the starter sags, and the starter pinion tears up the flexplate or flywheel ring gear.

I had that same problem for years. when you put the starter in make sure you have a 1/8 gap between the shaft on the starter and the teeth on the flywheel. you shouldn't need any shims. so far it's been working fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom