Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steam in Exhaust

A

Arcangel224

I changed the valve cover gaskets on my 86 and let everything dry overnight. Now when I start I get a lot of steam fomr the exhaust. Any ideas?

After motor has cooled and sat for a few hours ... check the condition of oil on the dipstick. If it's "milky" appearing (kinda looks like a chocolate shake) ... it's usually caused by water in oil (bad).

Did you pour water onto the head while valve cover was off (bad)? If so, the water may've run down the pushrod holes and into the lower engine (bad). If all this is true ... change the oil & filter now ... do not wait. That done, the residual water will cook off in short order.

On the other hand ... If the steam ceases by the time the motor's up to full operating temp ... then it's probably OK ... probably just daily/nightly condensation forming inside exhaust system (Most any car will do this when humidity & temps are right). But ... If it persists after motor's hot ... then you have problem (blown head gasket/cracked head etc). Let's hope it's just routine condensation.

JACK:gap

Well what the hey..rofl..I looked over everything again and found that a hose was hooked up wrong. Changed it back like it should be, got on the Highway and did about 2-3 minutes of 110 and cleaned the steam out. Shes running great. Thanks Jack for being there............woooooooooooooooooo Gotta Love it. See ya on the other side!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom