Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

steering lock

G

genokelly

hi anyone have a service steering column lock message on thier display? can't drive my c-5 right now?
thanks, geno

My column lock lock up experience

My '99 6-speed displayed that message five weeks ago after once displaying the "Remove key; wait 10 sec." message some weeks ~ 100 miles before.

It was transported to a very reliable Chevrolet dealer and repaired. They installed the fourth-generation column lock actuator. Now, everytime I attempt to start the greatest car I have ever owned, I hope that GM's engineers have redesigned it correctly this time.

thanks peter, unfortunately mine will not reset so i had it towed today, i'm wondering if gm will cover the towing costs?
enjoy your ride,
geno

I keep getting the notices in the mail to have mine done. I haven't yet cause I am not to sure it will help the problem. If it is just a band-aid then they can keep sending the notices.

H.D.:w

Heavy Duty said:
I keep getting the notices in the mail to have mine done. I haven't yet cause I am not to sure it will help the problem. If it is just a band-aid then they can keep sending the notices.

Same Here!! I haven't even took it in for some thing's, Like Rocking chair Seat's, Rt Door Glass won't roll down(If hot outside)!! For Fear thay will try to Fix what is not Broak!!;LOL junk!!

hd, i'll let you know how it works, but it sucks when you get in and can't go anywhere, especially at midnight at a restuarant parking lot and you have to leave it there til morning
geno

genokelly said:
hd, i'll let you know how it works, but it sucks when you get in and can't go anywhere, especially at midnight at a restuarant parking lot and you have to leave it there til morning
geno

Thanks Geno. I know it is not a question of if it happens, but more like when is it going to happen. I had a thought of somehow disabling the system so that the lock stays open. I know you run the risk of having the car stolen but if you think about it, if the thief wants it bad enough I don't think a steering lock will stop them. I'm kinda surprised that some of the aftermarket guys havn't come up with a solution since GM has not.

Hey Junk have you had a chance to see how these systems work. Also, I'll get mine done if you get yours done:D.

H.D.:upthumbs

Gentlemen,

If you get your recall notice from GM, by all means make the appointment. GM has actually work out the solutions (different for automatics and 6-speeds). Got my recall early this spring, got the repair done right away and no issues since.

Remo:cool

You might get lucky and get it unlocked by jerking the steering wheel hard to the left then right...

and having someone rock the car forward and backward while you do it...

GM disasmbles the column and hits the actuator with a punch to doslodge it.

The GM MN6 fit just cuts the gas if it gets locked.

My '01 had been serviced under the recall 2 times by GM. When the display happened the 3rd time I bought a column lock bypass from Corvettes of Houston.
I installed it and have not had a problem since. Go for the CLB!

I have had the CLB since spring of 05 and have nothing to report. Nothing, in this case, is a good thing.
So far so good.

forgive my ignorance but, i have an 04 auto. i don't remember a recall. does this affect 2004's? you all seem to have older cars. thanks.

j.jam

Column lock bypass is best solution

The column lock solution from GM does not fix it in every case. I believe the automatics will be fixed, but the 6-speeds aren't. The "fix" for the 6-speeds is to inhibit the gas flow so that the car won't run if the lock doesn't disengage, but it doesn't fix the column lock problem itself. The best thing to do is get a column lock bypass and install it yourself. I've done it on three C5's and the peace of mind is well worth the $50 cost.

FB REF said:
The column lock solution from GM does not fix it in every case. I believe the automatics will be fixed, but the 6-speeds aren't. The "fix" for the 6-speeds is to inhibit the gas flow so that the car won't run if the lock doesn't disengage, but it doesn't fix the column lock problem itself. The best thing to do is get a column lock bypass and install it yourself. I've done it on three C5's and the peace of mind is well worth the $50 cost.

where can you buy this "bypass" and is it difficult to do? thanks.

CLB can be purchased

jimmie jam said:
where can you buy this "bypass" and is it difficult to do? thanks.
Corvettesofhouston.com is where I've bought mine.

I bought a column lock simulator from Corvettes of Houston and installed it yesterday, which took less than 30 minutes to do. I've only owned my 2002 Z06 for three weeks with no problems, and the second owner didn't have any steering lock problems for the year that he owned it. However, after getting a printout of all the work GM did on the car for the first owner, it was towed to the Florida dealer twice with a locked steering column (at 7,000 and 12,000 miles). I figured I was on borrowed time so I installed the bypass before it happened again.

Rod

jimmie jam said:
forgive my ignorance but, i have an 04 auto. i don't remember a recall. does this affect 2004's? you all seem to have older cars. thanks.

j.jam
jimmie, I believe the autos made after 2000 (except for European exports) are NOT affected by the recall. From what I can tell, the autos made after 2000 don't even have a steering lock mechanism. (Can anyone verify this for me?)

link to the recall: click

link to a pretty extensive thread and summary click

Tammy

FB REF said:

I could not agree more. After much research, I decided not to bring my 01 MN6 in for the recall. Instead I installed the CLB from Corvettes of Houston and I've stopped worrying about the column lock. Much has been written about this topic on this and other boards, and there is ample information readily available on the internet to anyone who wants to research the matter.

HotrodZ06 said:
I bought a column lock simulator from Corvettes of Houston and installed it yesterday, which took less than 30 minutes to do. I've only owned my 2002 Z06 for three weeks with no problems, and the second owner didn't have any steering lock problems for the year that he owned it. However, after getting a printout of all the work GM did on the car for the first owner, it was towed to the Florida dealer twice with a locked steering column (at 7,000 and 12,000 miles). I figured I was on borrowed time so I installed the bypass before it happened again.

Rod

So you guys say that this is a simple install? If so I need to get the bypass.

Although nothing shows up about my car having this problem I too know that I am on borrowed time and since the car is now out of GMs warranty phase (I do have an extended warrenty but it may not cover this item) I guess I better get on the ball.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom