Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering question

S

shivelresk

I know, I know the topic of the control valve has been covered many times, yet I don't recall seeing any of the questions I have in any of the posts. So here goes. I just replaced the control valve with a rebuilt one. Got eveything hooked up and running good no leaks. And now the questions. My tires look as if they are both slightly turned inward in front, the passenger side one especially. Now when I replaced the valve I did make sure to screw the new one onto the relay rod the same number of turns it took to remove the old one. So does the number of turns onto the relay rod relate to the width between the rear of the tires? If so how? And if so does this mean that I may need to disconnect the entire valve and turn it again to fix this, or is there anther way to adjust it?

Also after I put the valve on and reconnected everything, I started the engine. The steering wheel did not move. Wasn't really expecting it to since the local Corvette shop I bought it from said that the valve was prebalanced, to a general degree at least. So anyway, I went about turning the wheel to the left and right locks to bleed the system. When I turned it first to the full lock left, about to the lock, the wheel turned hard, almost as if the car had been on the ground and turned into a rut. It took a good bit of force to turn it to the right and out of that position. Also when it was there it actually changed the sound of the engine, as if it had put a drag on the engine. With the tire off I check that things were alright, and no hoses or such were being pinched. I did adjust the balancing of the valve somewhat and it did fix the problem somewhat. Has anyone else run into this, and does it possibly relate to the above issue?

Want to get these things corrected ASAP as I gotta drive the car on Tuesday. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Replacing the control valve will have no effect at all on toe-in; that's only affected by turning the tie rod sleeves. It may affect steering wheel centering, but not toe-in. If your tires exhibit a visible toe-in condition, it was there before you started, and you need to take it to an alignment shop and have the toe-in set to specs. Normal steering feel should return once the system is fully bled and there is no air remaining in the system.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom