Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Wheel puller? / Horn problems

Corvette
1972 Coupe ZZ4 / 4 Speed
1972 coupe with tilt / tele and A/C

Ok here is the problem. The horn doesn't sound when you press the horn button. It does sound sometimes when you turn the steering wheel!

I've verified that the issue is in the column. (the horn works fine at the "harmonica connector" at the base of the column)

Also the key buzzer is stuck on. (when I ground the door jamb switch it buzzes even with no key in the ignition)

Question is.. what brand/model/part number steering wheel puller should I buy?

Should I even attempt this? or will I just screw it all up. How hard is this to do? Any advice? Things to look out for?

Thanks!

-Gooney0

Don't know about '72's per se...

Steering wheel pullers are easy to use, with just a ratchet and the bolts provided - a generic one should work.....

except...

on my '75 I didn't need one!

The center bolt did nothing! My wheel came loose while driving and I almost lost it. Only three of the unusual six periphery bolts were even there and they seemed to be the ones doing the work!

Later I took those off, they being hardware store unmarked ones of unknown hardness, and replaced them with Grade 8 machine screws with blue thread sealant to stop backing out. The wheel was ready to fall off with just the one bolt left on to position it while I was changing those.

The center bolt on this thing seemed to do something with the the telescoping mechanism, but not holding on the wheel like on the Blazerstein or the Mopar.

I am not sure what you will have to do to get to the parts you want to fix or change.

(I should add all my horn mechanism is missing, although I've bought it....another "needed extra feature" on me wee beastie...)

Now if I could just find a "fat man" style non-dished, 12.5" wheel with that weird "vette only" center and bolt hole pattern....or one with enough meat in the center to cut and alter but leave properly "vettish" after altering to accept the covers and such....

....I might wait until I put the new power steering back on though, it's a chore enough now with the standard 14"....

I got mine from JC Whitney, works great!!!! If horn doesn't work, it has something to do with your cap and the grounding of it. My 75 you have to push the cap in a certain spot for the horn to work.
Vettes are a pain in the ass when it comes to stuff like that. Sell it and you won't need that 8$ puller!!!!!

Yeah, I don't need a puller for the steering wheel itself. You do need a steering wheel puller to remove the rest of it. (deep in the column)

-Gooney0

steering wheel

How far down do you plan on going? Sholdent need one even if you go down to the ignition switch. I had horn problem but it was with the spacers under the horn cover and the relay under the dash.

I just fixed my non fuctioning horn a few weeks ago. What I did was to take the steering wheel horn cap off and remove the wave type horn rings. I then sanded them all clean of any rust. I also cleaned the contact post that the rings make contact with. My horn now blows like it should where all I could get before was a occassional sickly groan.

Here is a snipet from the 1972 Chevrolet Service Manual:

"
Tilt-Telescoping Columns
Removal

1. Remove the steering wheel as outlined under "Steering Wheel - Removal" (easy part, 6 screws)

2. Remove the column to instrument panel trim cover.

3. Remove the "C" ring plastic retainer.

4. Place Tool J-23653 over the end of the steering shaft.

5. Place a 5/16" nut under each leg of the tool as shown in Figure 22. Reinstall star screw to prevent sharft from moving out of column.

6. Using shaft nut, compress the lock plate just enough to remove the "C" ring. Remove the "C" ring.

..."

and so on.

The picture (figure 22) aka part J-23653 is a steering wheel puller of some kind.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this, as the instructions are a little of my head.

I am certain this needs to be done. When you ground the horn button the horn doesn't not sound. Only turning the steering wheel will cause the horn to sound, even when the horn button and contacts are removed from the car.

Also the horn workes correctly at the "harmonica connector" at the base of the steering column. The problem(s) have to be inside the steering column.

-Gooney0

-Fix simple as A,B.C for free maybe...

-A.) -remove the large center-nut holding the steering-wheel upon the steering-shaft; B.) --then, find a short piece of thick scrap-metal (-that won't bend essentially) and shoot a couple of holes through it that center with two of the opposed bolts thereto, -so that the approx. 2"-length of metal bridges across the end of the steering-shaft (grind the opposite-ends of the short "bridging-bar" so that it won't impinge upon the inside-wall of the steering-hub; C.) then after you have naturally removed two of the said opposing bolts, reinsert slightly-longer bolts of identical screw-thread (maybe 5/16"-18, -don't recall); --and with them passing through your new-fangled Bridging-bar, simply tighten'em alternately full-turn by full-turn until the steering-wheel readily comes loose!!! Now what's so darn difficult about that, --it must have taken me all of 5-minutes to make this cheap but effective puller that works better than a dual-claw/puller which can damage your steering-wheel hub! Some of you guys might try putting on your thinking-cap before placing mouth in gear... ~Bob vH
:Buttslap ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom