Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stereo Recommendations

D

DaveMacGSP

I have a '75 Stingray and someone in the past had put in a Pioneer radio that isn't working. The original in dash speakers are still there, but not hooked up. The speakers in the kick panels are gone, and there were two box speakers in the back that just were sitting there.

I want to replace the whole thing. Since the original radio is gone and I don't care to put in an orginal, what would you guys recommend.

I don't care to have Satellite, and a CD changer is an option. But I would like to play some loud AC/DC type rock (no thumping subwoofer required) and I woud like an iPod interface (non-rf).

What works? Doesn't work? What do you have?

Thanks in advance!:)

tunes

I have a '75 Stingray and someone in the past had put in a Pioneer radio that isn't working. The original in dash speakers are still there, but not hooked up. The speakers in the kick panels are gone, and there were two box speakers in the back that just were sitting there.

I want to replace the whole thing. Since the original radio is gone and I don't care to put in an orginal, what would you guys recommend.

I don't care to have Satellite, and a CD changer is an option. But I would like to play some loud AC/DC type rock (no thumping subwoofer required) and I woud like an iPod interface (non-rf).

What works? Doesn't work? What do you have?

Thanks in advance!:)
About 3 years ago I put a $129 Pioneer in my '82. It has 50w X 4. I replaced the factory speakers with some mid priced Pioneer 2 ways. It sounded pretty decent. I found a 6" powered Bazooka tube sub woofer on ebay for $100, and it hooked right up to the Pioneer stereo and didn't take up much room. Now it sounds really nice. Not terribly loud, but loud enough to be heard fine with the T's off. I wish I had one with an mp3 player input on the front, though. They didn't have them back then.

Pioneer makes a adapter kit ,part number RB10 that plugs into the back of your head unit so you can plug in an IPod.I use it to plug in a Sirius sat. receiver and it works great.You can find a generic one at Target in their car audio section for $19.00.

i have the us-5 custom autosound mfg head unit that fits to the original bevel.. looks nice but can have odd problems.. I had to pull it to recheck all the i/o and it seems to be working good again.

a little off topic - but what year did they stop using speakers in the kick panels? I have a 76 that looks to have the space for them but no speakers behind the kick panels..

:confused

I’m not 100% sure but I think 1968 and 1969 year only Corvettes had enough room behind the kick panel for 4x6 speakers. If your looking to replace the stereo look for one that just has an auxiliary jack on the front of the unit. To hook up your ipod or any MP3 player you will just have to get a short male/male 3.5mm audio stereo jack cord plugged into where the headphone jack is on the MP3 or ipod player. Shielded cable is essential to prevent pickup of electrical noise (hum and buzz) around $3.99 at any radio shack store. I am still using an old JVC cassette deck I installed in the middle 1980’s that has an input jack in the face that was once used for the Sony Diskman, but now supports my MP3 player and works just fine. As far as speakers, well there are many ideas one could come up with, but if your going to install them in the back of the car just make sure they are secured good.
Brian

I put 4x6's in my kick panels to augment the two in the dash. I also have two 8" mids and s 12" sub in the back with 1200 watts of amps and an adjustable crossover in the jack storage compartment. The amps are digital so there's no heat problem. Signal is from a USA-6 with an I-POD.

I previously had a Custom Autosound steero, but it crapped out.

I then purchased a 200 watt stereo from Classic Car Audio (Electronic Solutions Ltd) on eBay for less than $130 with free shipping. It has capability to utilize an I-Pod, satelite radio (Sirius, XM), or external CD player.

It fit perfectly, and sounds fine. Of course, I can't really hear it after I start the car (I'm not kidding).

Check their eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Electronic-Solutions-Ltd -- then type Corvette in the Store Search box.

They have great customer service, and they're very responsive. You can talk to Steve with any questions at 888-514-3811, or email vintageradio2000@yahoo.com.

Ralph

I previously had a Custom Autosound steero, but it crapped out.

I then purchased a 200 watt stereo from Classic Car Audio (Electronic Solutions Ltd) on eBay for less than $130 with free shipping. It has capability to utilize an I-Pod, satelite radio (Sirius, XM), or external CD player.

It fit perfectly, and sounds fine. Of course, I can't really hear it after I start the car (I'm not kidding).

Check their eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Electronic-Solutions-Ltd -- then type Corvette in the Store Search box.

They have great customer service, and they're very responsive. You can talk to Steve with any questions at 888-514-3811, or email vintageradio2000@yahoo.com.

Ralph
I know what you mean about can't hear it after starting the car. With my 383 running through 3" chambereds I can't hear much of anything till I hit cruising speed.

Ralph and Art, do you guy's really want to hear anything else but the rumble of your classic? Maybe I have not been on a long enough drive yet?...LOL.

Most of the time I just listen to the exhaust but every now and then I like to rock out! If I have my wife with me she likes tunes also. I haven't driven mine that much either, about 800 miles in the last two and a half weeks. I was doing great till my new 140 amp alternator melted a wire connector about 30 miles from home and we had to get hauled home on a flatbed. :eek:hnoes How humiliating!! Oh well, got it fixed and on the road again.:beer

Ralph and Art, do you guy's really want to hear anything else but the rumble of your classic? Maybe I have not been on a long enough drive yet?...LOL.

;LOL I agree.......the Thrust Masters sound good on their own.

I'm surprised how many people do not realize that current mp3 ready car stereos can play cd's with mp3's burned onto them. I can generally load a single cd with 5 to 8 folders (ie 1 folder= 1 album or 1 cd).

One mp3 cd generally lasts a week or two of comuting time for me.

by using a cdrw you can erase and reuse the same cd over and over for mood swings.

Yeah, you're right, and what a rumble it is!

With all seriousness, in doing my interior replacement, I didn't want to keep the dead Custom Autosound installed, and I also didn't want to leave a blank space in the center bezel! So I bought an inexpensive stereo to really serve as a "center piece"...

I took her for a drive this evening - mostly on city streets. I couldn't hear the stereo, so I turned it off.

Yeah, you're right, and what a rumble it is!

With all seriousness, in doing my interior replacement, I didn't want to keep the dead Custom Autosound installed, and I also didn't want to leave a blank space in the center bezel! So I bought an inexpensive stereo to really serve as a "center piece"...

I took her for a drive this evening - mostly on city streets. I couldn't hear the stereo, so I turned it off.
:rotfl;LOL:L:D:boogie

Custom Autosound has to be the greatest marketing company in the world.

They sell the worst pices of junk that last 6-12 months and get good prices for them. I have yet to hear of a satisfied customer. It seems that most Corvette buyers repalace the old technology original radio's with a Custom Auto Sound unit from one of the big catalogs use it a couple of months then it craps out and they buy a real stereo.

They have been doing this for years and are still around. The only thing they do is fit the original bezel.

I did just the opposite. Removed the Custom Autosound Stereo and put back in the Delco 8-Track that the Vette left the factory with. I don't listen to the stereo all that much when driving the Vette so nor can I really hear it so thought I would put back some originality.

I did just the opposite. Removed the Custom Autosound Stereo and put back in the Delco 8-Track that the Vette left the factory with. I don't listen to the stereo all that much when driving the Vette so nor can I really hear it so thought I would put back some originality.

Jeff,

Just curious, did you have to puchase the 8-track, or did it come with the car?

I believe you can have the stereo wired to allow you to connect an external (i.e., hidden) CD player, and retain the original look.

Ralph

I purchased the Delco 8-Track. I would be interested in seeing this configuration to make a better decision. Curious though...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom