Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock Headers

Tim81

Corvette
81 Black on Black Corvette
Has anyone cut the air tubes off their stock headers? What did you do to plug the holes where the tubes use to be? Thanks Tim

My advice is not to cut them. They are valuable for folks who have to have them for judging or emissions purposes.

:thumb

When I bought mine in Massachusetts in 1995, the PO had cut them off and they were spot welded shut. not pretty but it worked. and the covers were long gone.

When I moved to Denver the tubes were required for emissions testing so a pair from a junk yard dog were welded back on.

Out here in North East Ohio, as you know they are not required. The 'headers' aren't known for added performance from what I've read on the many corvette forums.

I plan to get headers from Summit when I put a decent set of heads on it.

When I bought mine in Massachusetts in 1995, the PO had cut them off and they were spot welded shut. not pretty but it worked. and the covers were long gone.

When I moved to Denver the tubes were required for emissions testing so a pair from a junk yard dog were welded back on.

Out here in North East Ohio, as you know they are not required. The 'headers' aren't known for added performance from what I've read on the many corvette forums.

I plan to get headers from Summit when I put a decent set of heads on it.

Thanks for the reply, I'm thinking about the header route myself..

On the set that came on my car, the tubes went past halfway into each exhaust runner. So I ground them flush with the runner to get the obstruction out of the exhaust flow. I then capped off the main fitting.

Now, this did leave a path between exhaust runners and I never was able to figure out if this was a problem or not. I since removed them and put on Hooker headers / sidepipes so the original ones are sitting in a box. They still look original, even have the covers on them. I may remove the Hookers and put the original exhaust system back on and sell the car and the Hookers separately.....may be.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom