Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock Mufflers with x-pipe

sweabe

Corvette
1994 Torch Red Conv
1994 Convertible, I'm thinking of replacing the resonator with a x-pipe, while keeping the rest of the exhaust stock. The reason for doing this is a rattle from inside the resonator. I have searched the forums for information what kind of sound this will produce, without success. The stock system is to quite, I don't mind a louder system, but would hate to add drone:eek:hnoes to the car.

//Sweabe

Sound

I removed the resonator and put straight pipes in. The sound from the mufflers is deeper and they burble and pop just right for me. I have compliments on the sound. If I was to do it over I might have gone with the x pipe to eliminate the resonance but when I get on it the sound is very authoritative.:thumb

I removed the resonator and put straight pipes in. The sound from the mufflers is deeper and they burble and pop just right for me. I have compliments on the sound. If I was to do it over I might have gone with the x pipe to eliminate the resonance but when I get on it the sound is very authoritative.:thumb

I have the same setup :upthumbs

I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing on My 95'. I just got in my 3" Flowmonster X-Pipe...Should deepen the tone w/o Drone. After all...That's what X-Pipes do .... eliminate Drone.
Can't beat Flowmonster especially for the Price.

BTW: Are the stock resonators straight through or baffled?

I've been interested in looking into exhaust options myself, but I've always preferred the x pipe to resonators on most cars myself.

I wonder how restrictive the stock resonator is???

I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing on My 95'. I just got in my 3" Flowmonster X-Pipe...Should deepen the tone w/o Drone. After all...That's what X-Pipes do .... eliminate Drone.
Can't beat Flowmonster especially for the Price.

BTW: Are the stock resonators straight through or baffled?

CAJUN C4, let us know the outcome. Will you keep the stock mufflers ?

What is the CC measurement of the 3" Flowmonster ? and where do you mount it, in the front or rear of the resonator void ?

CAJUN C4, let us know the outcome. Will you keep the stock mufflers ?

What is the CC measurement of the 3" Flowmonster ? and where do you mount it, in the front or rear of the resonator void ?

I don't know the CC's but it's huge especially being 3" in a 2-3/4" line. see www.flowmonster.com $32.00 a great price.

I believe I read somewhere the closer to the front the better.
I might be wrong but I'm putting it as far front as I can.
And yes I'm retaining the stock mufflers. They flow very well and have "o" resonance. Should give ours a good 60's sound.Throaty but not obnoxious.What I could do is a before and after Video Clip so you guys could hear the difference.I don't know how to do it though.Maybe put it on Youtube?

I might do it this Monday on my day off if I have time.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

I don't know the CC's but it's huge especially being 3" in a 2-3/4" line. see www.flowmonster.com $32.00 a great price.

I believe I read somewhere the closer to the front the better.
I might be wrong but I'm putting it as far front as I can.
And yes I'm retaining the stock mufflers. They flow very well and have "o" resonance. Should give ours a good 60's sound.Throaty but not obnoxious.What I could do is a before and after Video Clip so you guys could hear the difference.I don't know how to do it though.Maybe put it on Youtube?

I might do it this Monday on my day off if I have time.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

Yeah, put a before and after video on youtube... It would be super helpful! I want to make my exhaust louder under acceleration, quiet at cruise, and no ressonance... This might be the alternative to Corsa ($$$$$)....

he is something for you to think about . when you put in the 3 in x pipe put in as much 3 in pipe befor the x pipe as you can the go down to the 23/4 after the pipe that way you will not lose too much low end tq. contrary to popular belief you dont need to go 3 in all the way back . if you do and arent making 500 rwhp you will lose a bunch of low end tq. i had dr gas and spin tech build a custom exhaust for me for my 90 zr1 that has headers and a ported plenum and injector housings the car with a flowmaster cat back exhaust and the above mods made 409.9 rwhp and 373.3 tq in corey hendersons dyno .after having the dr gas 21/2 in with x pipe and spintec mufflers the car made 429.6rwhp and 391.2 tq . if you want to hear how the car sounds at the strip go to utube and type in joeshmoe12301230 for a list of both my zr1s at famoso raceway . the blk car has the dr gas system . the white car is a callaway 475 supernatural zr1 that has headers and corsa exhaust. which is a balance tube system hope this helps

Why Go to 3"

On my 93 I had the muffler shop replace the resonator with the same size pipe as was used by the factory. I did notuse an x pipe it cost me $80.00 to have this done. When you remove the resonator youwill see that it is straight through and has no restriction in it.

Pictures

Here is what the resonator looks like inside and as you can see there are no restrict ors in it. In my experience for day to day driving the GM exhaust is plenty capable of making this beast breath. Yes you can spend a lot of money getting an after market exhaust that will probable add something to the performance but at what cost. Most of the gain will be at some performance level you cannot use safely or legally on the road. That of course is my 2 cents. As for sound without the resonator my car has that throaty muscle car sound at idle and at WOT. Finally with the resonator out it will take time for the mufflers to sound louder.

Stock resonator is nothing more than a straight through muffler or sorts, two tubes with perforations inside the tubes with some packing around them. Doesn't do a damn thing. I had just muffler eliminators on my car for about a month w/cats and stock resonator, yeah, way lots of interior resonance, I installed x pipe in place of resonator and got WAY LESS interior resonance...OH and this sounds...MUAHA HAHA AHAHA!!!

YouTube - C4 Corvette Muffler Eliminators

Ignore the popping on camera, it was taken with still cam,not the best sound quality.

YouTube - C4 Corvette Acceleration

Yes, it is loud, but not stupid loud and yes, everybody and their brother knows when your on it. All I have to say is as I recall a 1970 GTO commerical featuring the Vacumm Operated Exhuast is..."pipes open wide, got NO ONE TALK'IN BACK..."

t you are right they are straight thru but they mrck down to 21/4 in id which does cost some power . uour idae of going with a 3 in x pipe is a good one for best power and to be able to have a decent conversation while driving . hib halverson did a nice job of moding the exhaust on his zr1. its on this site somewhere i just cant remember where it is . a xpipe is worth about 10 hp over a balance tube

excuse the spelling errors . cant find my glasses it should read neck down:upthumbs

Here is what the resonator looks like inside and as you can see there are no restrict ors in it. In my experience for day to day driving the GM exhaust is plenty capable of making this beast breath. Yes you can spend a lot of money getting an after market exhaust that will probable add something to the performance but at what cost. Most of the gain will be at some performance level you cannot use safely or legally on the road. That of course is my 2 cents. As for sound without the resonator my car has that throaty muscle car sound at idle and at WOT. Finally with the resonator out it will take time for the mufflers to sound louder.

From your picture above I see that the resonator tubes are only 2 1/4", maybe a 2 1/2" X-pipe will keep the velocity of the gases better than the 3"

Are all resonators 2 1/4" or does it differs between years ?

i am not totally sure but i believe only the 96 lt4 is different .and i think its 23/4 in and out . .thats the stk exhaust to get if you want stk

Went under the car today, pipes are 2 3/4" and the pipes through the resonator seems to be 2 1/2" (outher diam.)

the 95 lt4 is 23/4 in and out . but i think that your idea of a 3 in xpipe going back into the 23/4 stk pipe is a good one and the cost to do very reasonable . i would just try and go for 3 in pipe from the cats to the xpipe if the cost to do it within your budget

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom