Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock or open air filter?

M

MusclesWit350

In my 80 L48 I was wondering if it would be better to put a open air filter on instead of the stock set up?

Thanks

An open air filter would take in hot air off of the engine, while the stock setup will pull in cold air from the grill opening.

Unless you are changing intakes and carbs, I believe I would stick with the stock type setup to get the cold air.

Open Intake

I hate to disagree with the rest of the gang but my 1978 came to life with an incredible throttle note and improved performance with an open element - inlcuding the lid - air filter. I have also upgraded my carb, in take, toller tip rockers, enlarged the exhaust and put on DynoMax mufflers. So the open element was in the icing....honestly it sounds like a V12 when those four barrels are open and howling at 4 grand or so...it is worth the 80 bucks just for the sound!!!

One other thought on the open air element...

I left the plastic intake snorkel over the radiator in place to get some of that colder air into the compartment but removed the hosing...

Here is what I did to help get a bit more air to the Carb... it seems to help :upthumbs
I traced the bottom of the air filter onto 1/8" masonite board, cut it out then put it in the bottom of the air cleaner with the air filter on top ;) That way it still filters out all the junk and I can still use stock sized filters.

I looked off and on for a filter that was exact in dia. and 1/8" higher, but never found one, so one day I used cardboard cutouts until I found the height that I could still use the original carb bolt yet get the max clearance with air to the carb and still get the hood to close properly ;)

Bud

attachment.php

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom