Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange fuel guage happenings......

Huskerman

Corvette
2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver
This is weird....25K 2010 GS.....had a 1/4 tank of fuel in it. It has been starting rough again before smoothing out at idle so to fix that I put in a bottle of Techron and that seems to clean it up for a time. Anyway I put the bottle in and then drove it around for about 10 miles before filling it up. When I did fill it up and headed out on the highway all the bells and whistles went off and the DIC was saying Low Fuel and service fuel system....The guage was reading flat empty. I pulled over and restarted the car to see if that would reboot it. It did not but the guage went to a little over half full. I knew it was full so we proceeded on our journey of about 120 miles.....after about 30 miles the DIC went back to normal and the guage read full and I had no problems after that. Did not have a problem with it before. The performance of the car never was effected but the Check Engine Light is still on.....I will read some codes and see what they say.

It was just odd and I don't know if the strong mix of Techron in the low fuel tank threw something off or what but I will continue to moniter it.......that's all for now.....

One other thing is I was in a hurry so put the pump handle on the 2nd click for a faster fill and I usually only use the the slowest fill when fueling but I don't see how that could do anything....
like I said, weird.

Other than the rough start, sounds like the problem a lot of people are having with their fuel level sensor, See if you get error code 2068. Mind started doing that at just over 50000 miles on and off and eventually went completely bad by about 52000 miles.

Other than the rough start, sounds like the problem a lot of people are having with their fuel level sensor, See if you get error code 2068. Mind started doing that at just over 50000 miles on and off and eventually went completely bad by about 52000 miles.

Thanks for that....I will get codes pulled by end of week been to busy to mess with it.....Rough start has been a problem since I have owned it but the Techron always fixes it but after 2 or three tank fulls with out adding Techron it will start doing it again.....need to take it to a dealership with a Vette tech to see what they say.....runs just fine after it all settles down to an idle and never a miss pulling all the way to redline.......I have been using 91 octane from Sinclare...maybe should try another brand....No Texaco out here...don't they have the Techron in it or is that Chevron....?

Not sure about the Texaco gas, but Chevron has Techron, and Shell and Phillips 66/Conoco are top tier gas.

Nuts....it did it again and the code was P2068....so what was the fix Tony1? I can invision it ain't cheap....

Nevermind......I researched it and see that I need top tier fuel and run several bottles of 20 oz Techron concentrate through it and add it in so it gets to both tanks.......Come on Chevy, the system is bullshit and has been since the C5....what's up with that??? Car only has 25K so hope the better fuel and Techron fix it......if the sensor is bad then things get real complicated...

Isn't your car still under warranty? I thought the warranty was 50,000 miles or 5 years. Hopefully so. If not the repair at the dealer calls for dropping the differential to get to the fuel tanks to change the sensor. It's a $3500 repair job at the dealer for a $80 part. There's a video out there that shows you how to do it yourself without dropping the differential. I did it. It's difficult though, because you're working in very tight spaces and it's hard to see what you're doing at times, but it took about 6 hours total not including breaks...basically all day. How to change the fuel sending unit on your Corvette! With briansmobile1 Code P2068 - YouTube . Some people say the fuel treatments worked for them, but I went though 20 or 30 bottles of various cleaners to no avail. GM knows about this problem, but does not inform the owners. They suggest running a couple of bottles of their version of Chevron techron PLUS at every oil change. The Plus has chemicals specifically designed to coat the sensors so that the sulfur in the gasoline doesn't eat away at the sensor contacts. But if you haven't been doing this, it's likely just a matter of time before they deteriorate to the point of having to replace them. Also, others have suggested that you put the cleaner in and let it soak for a few days. Good luck.

Thanks Tony......If the fuel system is part of the drivetrain then yes it is still covered. Seems like it should be....I will do research.....Went and drove around and put a few miles on and now everything is working great........I will keep you posted....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom