Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stress crack touch-ups

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
I have very minor (hair thin) stress crack on the rear deck and was wondering if somebody had a little trick to lessen their appearance. The paint job is in excellent condition so repainting is not an option. I do have some paint left over from when I had the front and rear caps repainted. Most touch-ups look worse than what they are trying to cover.

Andy

I hope we get some input to this issue. I have the same thing on my 1976 and would love to know how to cover the cracks up.

I have used the colored polish and it does help on some small cracks and scrapes. Another things is that if you wax your car a lot the wax doesn't come out of the crack and then turns white and that makes the crack show up even more. You have to wash that area very well to get the old wax out.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Gary

Try a very fine and very soft toothbrush to get the old wax out of the cracks , than wash and than apply the colored wax. Should help cover some of the cracks. Steve

unless you repair the stress crack all the way it will only get worst. Water will get under your paint at the crack spot and lift the surrounding paint. The best way to fix it will be to grind out the crack, fill/fix with fiberglass, and repaint the area. A good body shop should be able to handle this. Good luck.

I agree,the only way is to have it fixed.You could take a clear epoxy and fill the crack up but it wontlast long.And dont touch it up with that paint you have.Trying to touch up mettalic paint with a brush will surely make it look worse.

The wax when dry will only enhance the cracks.Colour waxes work better.Repairing is very expensive but should (done right) cure the problem.My 72 is very dark black cherry and just after washing I use women's black eye liner over the stress cracks.After everyone stops laughing I will tell you I took first place at a concours show; they never noticed the cracks.It's cheap and effective but only lasts till the next wash.See if they have a colour to match your car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom