Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strong smell of gasoline

Corvsinis

Hello, my vette c5 2002 petrol smells a lot when I fill the tank. The smell lasts until the first 150km least tours. The other day I parked in a place with steep spilled gasoline car just below where is the filler. Someone knows what may be due? I can in my garage solve the problem without having to visit the machine shop? Thanks as always!

Hello, my vette c5 2002 petrol smells a lot when I fill the tank. The smell lasts until the first 150km least tours. The other day I parked in a place with steep spilled gasoline car just below where is the filler. Someone knows what may be due? I can in my garage solve the problem without having to visit the machine shop? Thanks as always!

I would remove the rear inner fender liner on the side of the leak and look closely at the fuel filler pipe and hose. If you can see fuel on the ground this is a very dangerous situation, do not drive or start the vehicle until the leak is fixed. Be very careful working around this problem and do not use any incandescent lighting, if in doubt have it towed to a professional. Good luck with it. :)

thank you very much LLC5 !!! I'll see if I can disassemble it myself.

It is what I always do, but every time smells worse, sometimes even before the hose stops before filling up top, it looks like dripping under the car. Thank you very much for pdf dadaroo! I'll see if I can do it mismo[emoji3]

thank you very much LLC5 !!! I'll see if I can disassemble it myself.

When you have the vehicle in the air and the left tire removed (with proper support please) it would be a good time to check your fuel filter and/or replace if service is unknown, it is on the left frame rail directly across from your transmission. I doubt if your filter is leaking since you stated is only after filling the tanks, but now would be a good time to do a visual and replace if needed. Good luck with all of it, and be very careful working around fuel (this cannot be overstated). :)

Thank you for the advice! I will consider for the replacement of the filter. Where I can buy the fuel filter? Ecklers corvette or mamotorwork are suitable stores?

Thank you for the advice! I will consider for the replacement of the filter. Where I can buy the fuel filter? Ecklers corvette or mamotorwork are suitable stores?

Both of the vendors you referred to are quality part suppliers. You will also need a special, but inexpensive, fuel clamp removal tool to remove the lines from the filter. :)

Also in that area is the gasket for the fuel pump. give it a look. I've had mine go bad and produced similar problems.

I'm waiting for manotorworks decide to send me a fuel filter that ordered two weeks ago and as soon as I start having dismantled everything to see what the problem is and fix it. Thank you very much for your advice tankman, I'll remember.

I've removed the top of the left rear wheel and lost sight no fuel is seen. do not know where to look or how to know where lost. It is difficult to remove the tube inlet gas since there is no space for any tools so small there.
cdd07d822ec474ede8e9c0c467af17f9.jpg
f08ae5504777d80faebfcc86417bce2d.jpg
97bcae26a94714eb8640f34eb49bef71.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon I got to change the filter. the problem is that I have seen where it loses much gasoline. There is a rubber tube that goes from one tank to another tank and that is where gasoline lost when I filled the tank to the top.

Cross over pipe

I had the problem with 04 z06 as the pipe from right to left tank was cracked. Replaced under warranty.

Hopefully be the tube from one tank to another. I'm having serious problems with 12-month warranty offered at the dealership where I bought Used Corvette. If the defective tank, I will pay my touch. Dealers say they do not take care.

Thanks!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom