Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suggestions needed

larryg3

Corvette
1981 charcoal (39) Bowling green
I am sure i am no the first nor will I be the last to ask this question.....
this is what i have 81 with L81 engine stock with the exception of true dual exhaust with magnaflows. air pump removed. diff rebuilt with gear swap to 3:54. I want to keep my computer but I want more power. currently she has 68K on the clock. should i do Heads and a Cam if so which ones so that i can keep the computer??? as for the trans it needs to be rebuilt again open to your suggestions.

I do not drag race but if i step on it i would like to burn some rubber.
I do drive on the highway when i take her to work (just a couple of time a year). Mostly just cruise around town and some car shows.

thanks for your help.

For beginners, as long as you have to do the transmission, I'd put a shift kit in it to give you more kick in the pants feeling of power. There's nothing like a nice 2nd gear "chirp" with an automatic!

Chuck

As for the transmission, a nice TH700r4 will put a smile on your face at the starting line and at the gas pump!

As far as performance mods with the computer, the sky is the limit (almost). The beauty of our computer is it is stupid enough not to notice most mods at all, and even if you go overboard, you can easily trick it into performing correctly. The only limitation I have seen is that you must stay within the abilities of an 800 cfm carb (sorry, no 7000 rpm 427" small block stroker).

I personally use a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads and a Comp XE262H cam. If I had it to do over, I would have spent the extra $500 and gone roller cam, and gone up a notch on lift (Comp XR270HR).

God bless, Sensei

Sensei, i thank you for your input. It puts me at ease. as the cam after some research i was considering the 268H. what do you think?

i was considering the 268H.

That would be the cam I would pick if I went flat tappet. But with the oils being produced now, flat tappet cams are a risk. EPA regulations have mandated removal of heavy metal lubricants in the oil formulas. The oils have changed (and continue to change) without fanfare or warning, killing innumerable flat tappet cams. Sharp ramped cams like the Comp XEs are especially vulnerable. That is why I say I would now go with a roller tappet conversion. For about $500 more, you can save yourself the cost and frustration of having to mix oil cocktails to keep your cam alive (I use one quart Lucas and half a bottle of comp break-in additive with every oil change, an expensive hassle).

God bless, Sensei

Thanks again Sensei,

any recommendations on the heads
Maybe edelbrock, gmpp, or RHS heads I would love a set of dart but they are very expensive i want to stay with cast iron, so that it keeps the stock look.

again thanks for the help.

I am doing alot of looking at heads right now....the cast iron World Products S/R Torquer and Sportsman II heads are nice...about the same price though as the Edelbrock Performer aluminmun head. To me this is a no-brainer...go with the aluminum heads. I already have the 268 comp cams and need to be able to use it by getting better heads.

I do agree with Sensei though about going with a roller conversion...I am thinking about doing that when I do the head replacement.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom