Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suggestions on cooling

vettsnyder

Corvette
1993 40th Coupe
OK I have a 93 that up until recently has been running
normal but now seems to be getting hot at a light or in traffic. Now my previous experiences with chevy has led me to believe it is the thermostat that is going bad. But after reading the post on here about cooling and thermostats, I am beginning to believe it is a little more than just my stat. Now I have checked the radiator to see if it is clear and for the most part it is. I've even taken the top housing off of the stat but I am a little concerned that this will not really fix the problem.(Oh and on a related topic does the stat come out the top, it was snugg in there and I was not about to yank it out if it did not come out this way.) Anyway back to the main problem should I get a chip or switch or replace the stat.... Just want to get it running cool as I live in a hot climate and would like a good suggestion on how to approach the subject. Oh and go easy on the suggestions as this is the first time I've been brave enough to actually work on the Vette, I am a moderate mechanic at best.

Thanks All,
EMS

I went with the Stage II Hypertech with a 160 stat and I gotta tell you it did the trick. And boy is it hot down here:cool :cool
I'm running 200 tops in traffic on a 90 degree day.
Carlo:w

Is it possible that the auxiliary fan relay failed? They're fairly easy to diagnose. I've had experience testing the older relays, but I guess they're relatively the same. BTW, welcome to the forum.

--Bullitt

Thanks for the welcome Bullitt, I have used a few forums for software I use at work and was very happy to find this one for Vettes. This could really come in handy since the title is now in my hands and the mods should start soon. Anway the fans do come roaring on but It still makes me a little nervous and I'm not entirely sure the temp is dropping low enough for my tastes. I was planning to stick in a chip anyway, so I think I will probably just install the 160 thermo.

Thanks,
EMS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom