Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Swirl & scratch removal

72 Bluz

What could I use? I plan on having the car stripped and repainted within a year because of age and stress cracks, but would like to get a little bit more shine and get rid of what I can. By doing something like this, will I run the risk of the stuff getting inside and under the stress cracks and further deteriorating the paint?

Update

Well, I've tried the Meguire's Scratch X. It helps, but still doesn't get all the swirls and scratches out, but I can tell a difference. This weekend, I'm going to use the Krylon #1900 treatment. That should solve the problem. If it doesn't, I have some extra stickers to cover up what's left. That should add some additional horsepower, too. Will be sure to post some pictures after everything is done. ;)

72 Bluz

Re: Update

72 Bluz said:
Well, I've tried the Meguire's Scratch X. It helps, but still doesn't get all the swirls and scratches out, but I can tell a difference.

72 Bluz

I tried a sample of Meguire's I got at a show and could not tell much difference either.

-Guy

You could try 3m Finesse It. It's polishing compound. You need to put it on with an electric buffer. They also prefer you use the 3M Hookit pad. It has no silicons and buffs of easily. Shines the car up and preps it for your favorite wax. You'll need to go to a body shop supply house to get it. It's about $40 for a bottle and it will last a long time.
I even use it for polishing my bowling balls cause it leaves no residue and gets all the lane crap of the ball ;-)

72Bluz,

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I need to frequent more of the forums more often.

3M does make very good products. I would give their Swirl Remover a try. PN 39009 is for dark colored cars and PN 39109 is for light colored cars.

I will try 3M stuff

Went over to a guy's house Sunday afternoon so he could evaluate my paint. He used a little 3M compound on it and it seemed to work well on the scratches, so I'll give it a try. I think he said it was a rubbing compound with no silicone in it, was a beige color. Still plan on getting her repainted, but if the 3M stuff works well, I may postphone that another year and focus on other things for Xena.

Anyway, he really knows his stuff. Has several vettes in addition to other cars and does everything himself (wonder if he's related to Chris?). Looked at his BEAUTIFUL 69 427 roadster, he's currently restoring a Cobra. That's something to have a 69 BB roadster and a Cobra side by side in your garage. I hope he'll help me get a vette club going here locally. I really learned alot from him in 20 minutes as far as what to look for and where to look. Long story made short, he was very impressed with Xena, no rust, straight lines, no apparent collision repair and well taken care of. Needless to say, that put my mind at ease since I went into the purchase pretty much ignorant of how to evaluate a vette. Thanks ,guys.

Re: I will try 3M stuff

72 Bluz said:
That's something to have a 69 BB roadster and a Cobra side by side in your garage.

That sounds sweet, kinda reminds me of those old "Dreams" posters that I remember seeing back in the 80's.

- Eric

vms4evr said:

I even use it for polishing my bowling balls cause it leaves no residue and gets all the lane crap of the ball ;-)

Thanks for the bowling ball idea! Something differnt from rubbing alcohol. I'll try it!

I have used the Mequiars Scratch-X, and thought it worked pretty good for a "hand-applied" rubbing compound. You cannot compare it to proffessional 3M products applied with a electric buffer. They work much better, but you must use care. It is pretty difficult to mess up your paint using the "Scratch-X".

Always start with the least aggressive compound first.

Picked up some 3M Rubbing Compound and Imperial Hand Glaze. Will give them a try.

Thanks.

I vote for Meguire's

For swirls, I've had really good results with Meguire's cleaner, polish and wax combo. Definately use an electric buffer with the polish. People always ask me how I get my cars so shiny.

On scratches I use a little 3M rubbing compound by hand and a couple of fingers, then come back with the Meguire's polish by hand. Then I go over the area with the electric buffer with the polish.

I'm not an authority, but I'm never dissapointed.

Justin

I agree, Meguiars products are excellent and I've always had good luck with them.

Although my 88's 14-year old paint is in remarkable condition, I had a chronic problem with those swirl marks, especially on the hood. I tried just about everything and finally had my body shop buff out the whole car. They used a 3M product, and it's miraculous!!! No more swirl marks!! The shop said most detailers use products that just "fill" in the marks and that they almost always return. They charged me $100...very small price to pay to eliminate a problem that was driving me crazy!!

Lemon Peel aka Elaine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom