Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Synthetic Motor Oil Change

Greekman

Corvette
'67 327/350-'73 LS4-'76 L48-'79 L82
I am wanting to change my engine oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic. What is the proper procedure for doing this right? My engine has 48k miles on it.

Should I use a Engine Cleaner or Wash to add to the cranckcase prior to draining the old oil out?

Will I experience leaky gaskets or seals?

I dont' plan on puting more than 2k miles per year on my Corvette so I thought with the Mobil 1 Synthetic oil I could change the motor oil just once a year.

What is everyone's thoughts on this procedure.

Don't really want the Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil debate as I have already been there.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Mobil 1 come in the Vette when you buy it new. I use it and always have. Just change the oil like you normally would.

Synthetic Motor Oil Change over

I don't believe it did in 1979. The Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil use from the factory has been recently in the 1990s if I am not mistaken.

I have heard some say use a motor oil cleaner to remove any sludge from the engine before installing the new thinner and lighter synthetic type.

Thanks for your reply.

My understanding is that then going to Mobil 1 after using fossil based oil you can expect to have leaking from the engine seals and gaskets.
Tom

Mobil 1 change over......

Tom, thanks for your reply and thoughts on the oil change.

I did already go ahead and changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and used a motor cleaner before changing. So far no leaks or problems. I was having a slight heating problem where the water temp gage was running aound 210-220 with a new 195 thermostat in. Since the oil change engine seems to run a bit cooler and hasn't passed 195 on the water temp.

I did change over to synthetic and Mobil 1 on my 4x4 truck a couple of years ago and it had 37k miles on it. No problems there either, so maybe I'll be okay. I hope so.

Thanks again,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom