Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

t-top trim removal

Trim

Boy I hope you get some responses on this, I'm interested also.

Bill

Best advice is DON'T remove it, if at all avoidable. Most likely the little clips inside are rusted and will break, making the trim virtually useless. Nobody is making replacement pieces, so there is a dwindling supply of usable parts from the field. :beer

had to remove the trim from mine to fix the windshield track. you may as well go out and buy the new interior pieces cause they don't survive the extraction . there's too much water and rust to ever get them out without damage. i found a good stainless one for $25.00. the interior pieces cost me over $250.00.unless you want to start a new winter project. leave it as it is.

Hey Mike!

I brought mine to my paint guy about 2 weeks ago Funny ya'll should mention it he told me to take off those pc's and a few other items. I suspected they were gonna be an ordeal. Now I'm getting the picture. I'm wondering if were all about to get painted ? What colors ya'll going with?

Well , I'm repainting the t-tops and on one the clips are gone . One of the previous owners must of removed them because it was just glued on. So looks like I will be gluing it back on when I finish painting it. The other top the trim is still on very solid so I am just taping them up real good so I don't sand or buff them. Thanks for the replies!

it's a lot easier to remove them if your doing a color change, the windshields leak a lot so maybe he's going to repair that???if neither, i don't know why.mike

Re-furb kit??

I bought a refurb kit over the winter that I planned to install at some point this spring. The kit contains the hardware that the t-tops fit into. When I wash my car, I always leave the t-tops on, and I noticed some of the chrome screws etc are starting to show signs of rust/wear.

Am I looking for problems by replacing everything? Thanks in advance.

Are we on the same page we are talking about the chrome trim on the T-tops thier selves

thats the same,what does that have to do with the windshield. Any way I think I'm gonna attempt to take at least one off,I guess I can allways glue back, because I really want my new paint to look good

joe1975 said:
thats the same,what does that have to do with the windshield. Any way I think I'm gonna attempt to take at least one off,I guess I can allways glue back, because I really want my new paint to look good
Joe , not sure about the windsheild thing that was Mike . Post some pics if you can on your repaint. would be interesting to see. Guess I'll see which turns out better or if there is any real difference on mine since the trim is off one and not the other .

allright, paint is about a month off I'm gonna disassemble as much as possible plus I have to replace my hood My paint choice as of now will be Flame Orange the green it is now doesn't do nothing for my car or for me. How about you going back black?

Joe , I plan on black with some pinstriping unless , when I get into the hood, I decide I would be better off with a new hood. If I go with a new hood I will go with a whole color/paint scheme

Blacks cool,but shows everything lots of work ,upkeep . I've owned a couple black vehicles, but when they're clean!

sorry guys, the trim i thought you meant was the stainless"t" piece between the t-tops. mine had to come off because there was water damage to the front "A" pillars at the top.
mines getting the paint in the next week or so. i'm going with electron blue matallic pearl with white leather buckets and console, and the rest black interior. hoping to have it on the road soon.
i thought about removing the pieces you guys speak of, but i couldn't see the benefit in doing it, but i could see the work. they must be glued on as i didn't see any screwholes.mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom