Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

t-tops and the o so lovely leaks

Reese001

Corvette
1974 Corvette Stingray White
so i was wondering if anyone has any hints, tips, or tricks about how to get the t-tops to seal tighter or correctly. I took the car for a drive in the rain and when i got home my right shoulder was soaked, and i noticed that in front of the right door it is leaking in from the top corner. other than these 2 little leaks i have not noticed any others which is a relief but its still a pain. when i took the tops off to look where it is leaking in onto my shoulder i noticed no one every applied glue or they didnt applie enough because the stripping is loose there. is there a trick or a special way to put them on that makes them seal tighter?;help:W

Well if you remove the headliner (it's held on with velcro fasteners) and under the headliner you'll see that the top has two hold downs. They are adjustable as they have shims, you can remove a couple and see if that brings the top down tighter. Using this, and installing new weather stripping should bring an end to your right shoulder leak. Now the front right and left corner you have a adustable rubber tipped screw, and if you have a leak along the left side rear, you can remove the pin insert, and file down the three screws holes to bring the corner down a bit tighter. There was a GM bulletin that covered this procedure. :w

thank you for the response i will try to take the shims out, thank you for the recommendation on the GM bulletin i will have to find that. :)

the metal shims will get them to position pretty good and line up with the body correctly but still won't fix the weatherstripping leaks. I got some thin strips of some type of doublesided tape (I can't remember where I got it, someone on this site sent them to me I think!). Anyway I put them in between the weatherstrip and the ttop to close the gaps. Seems to be holding up very well no leaks whatsoever.

well i got the leaks fixed (crosses fingers) lightly pulled on all the weatherstrip and where it came off the t-tops i used some 3M weatherstrip glue then shut them up over night and the next day I sprayed it down with a hose and no leaks :D:D thanks for all the suggestions guys and i hope one day i will be able to contribute more to the community

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom