Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tach drive hei

Alan76

Corvette
1976 White 1973 Yellow 1969 Camaro White
Has anyone bought one of these tach drive hei distributors
At $115.00 sounds like deal but are they any good

Alan hei.png

You've already got an HEI and electronic tach in your '76 so I guess this is for your '73. Reading the reviews on that other forum makes me think that these things have a poor reliability record- that's strike 1.

Strike 2, which applies to any replacement ignition system, is that won't make any difference in performance. So why bother?

Are you talking about the dragonfire unit off of ebay? had one for my 72 for 3 years now. runs perfectly. spring change and a turn of the adjustable vacuum can dialed the timing right in.

No one that I have talked to that actually owns one has ever said anything bad about them. Every negative review I have read are people just saying that it doesnt cost enough so it must be crap.

Gotta love Dragonfire's marketing - they claim their distributor produces an additional 100 ft-lbs. of torque at 5000 rpm over the stock HEI; that's a new high-water mark for false advertising. ;LOL :eyerole

DragonFireGraph.jpg

If you read the actual graph it says that results were obtained using a modified air/fuel setup. So basically they took a stock engine and dynoed it and then took a modified tuned engine with their distributor. Chances are the above poster has never tried it which goes again to my original post saying the only people who have ever said anything bad about them dont use it. Basically you can either spend 115 and run it until it breaks some undetermined years down the road and then send it back under the lifetime warranty and get another one or spend 400 for essentially the same thing.

Gotta love Dragonfire's marketing - they claim their distributor produces an additional 100 ft-lbs. of torque at 5000 rpm over the stock HEI; that's a new high-water mark for false advertising. ;LOL :eyerole

View attachment 2093

That's enough to put me off using any of their products right there.:ugh

But- I guess it moves product and that's what the game is all about.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom