Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tach gear install

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Hey guys, Thanks for the help on my last project... Now , Need to replace a tach gear on my '74. Do I need to pull the dist. to do an install?

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
Not really, but if your tach gear is shot, there is a good chance that the gear on the distributor axle is also damaged, so I would advice you to pull the distributor and check that out. (I dont remember if you need to disassemble the distributor to check the axle gear, maybe someone else knows? I think you can see the axle gear through the hole where the tach gear goes)

/Johan

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
If the cross gear is damaged, chances are the mating mainshaft gear is too - if you just replace the cross gear, it will be toast very shortly. Pull the distributor and inspect the gear teeth very closely - if either the cross gear teeth or mainshaft gear teeth look like the photo below, it's time for a new mainshaft AND cross gear.

:beer

motorman

Corvette
2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
JohnZ said:
If the cross gear is damaged, chances are the mating mainshaft gear is too - if you just replace the cross gear, it will be toast very shortly. Pull the distributor and inspect the gear teeth very closely - if either the cross gear teeth or mainshaft gear teeth look like the photo below, it's time for a new mainshaft AND cross gear.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/13522/TachDriveFailure.jpg

:beer
good time to shim the up and down play in the main shaft to .005/.008. this will also help prevent the gear teeth from chewing up. make sure the little shim is on the cross gear to prevent excess back and forth movement

bobs78

Corvette
50th AE vert - 25th SA - 54 Polo White
Johan said:
Not really, but if your tach gear is shot, there is a good chance that the gear on the distributor axle is also damaged, so I would advice you to pull the distributor and check that out. (I dont remember if you need to disassemble the distributor to check the axle gear, maybe someone else knows? I think you can see the axle gear through the hole where the tach gear goes)

/Johan

Definitely check out your tach too!

I had the same problem. I only replaced the shaft and side gear then within a month the tach froze-up totally!!! So I had to do the whole thing over again and have the tach rebuilt :mad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom