Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tach gear install

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Hey guys, Thanks for the help on my last project... Now , Need to replace a tach gear on my '74. Do I need to pull the dist. to do an install?

Not really, but if your tach gear is shot, there is a good chance that the gear on the distributor axle is also damaged, so I would advice you to pull the distributor and check that out. (I dont remember if you need to disassemble the distributor to check the axle gear, maybe someone else knows? I think you can see the axle gear through the hole where the tach gear goes)

/Johan

If the cross gear is damaged, chances are the mating mainshaft gear is too - if you just replace the cross gear, it will be toast very shortly. Pull the distributor and inspect the gear teeth very closely - if either the cross gear teeth or mainshaft gear teeth look like the photo below, it's time for a new mainshaft AND cross gear.

TachDriveFailure.jpg

:beer

JohnZ said:
If the cross gear is damaged, chances are the mating mainshaft gear is too - if you just replace the cross gear, it will be toast very shortly. Pull the distributor and inspect the gear teeth very closely - if either the cross gear teeth or mainshaft gear teeth look like the photo below, it's time for a new mainshaft AND cross gear.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/13522/TachDriveFailure.jpg

:beer
good time to shim the up and down play in the main shaft to .005/.008. this will also help prevent the gear teeth from chewing up. make sure the little shim is on the cross gear to prevent excess back and forth movement

Johan said:
Not really, but if your tach gear is shot, there is a good chance that the gear on the distributor axle is also damaged, so I would advice you to pull the distributor and check that out. (I dont remember if you need to disassemble the distributor to check the axle gear, maybe someone else knows? I think you can see the axle gear through the hole where the tach gear goes)

/Johan

Definitely check out your tach too!

I had the same problem. I only replaced the shaft and side gear then within a month the tach froze-up totally!!! So I had to do the whole thing over again and have the tach rebuilt :mad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom