Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tach problem

eddonjan

Corvette
1991 black soft top
I just got a 91 and the tach does't work.When I start the car the tach will go all the way up then back down and stays there.Any ideas?

I just got a 91 and the tach does't work.When I start the car the tach will go all the way up then back down and stays there.Any ideas?
anyone got any ideas on this problem? need help!
Thanks

Have you checked to see if the tach wire is connected to the distributer?
You could also check to be sure the wire isn't broken or pinched somewere from previous under hood work.

Glenn
:w

A Bad Capacitor was bad on mine, pluged into the distributoron the fire wall.
Tom.

I would bet its the Tach Filter. Its inline from the tach output from the distributor to the display. My '90's was bad, broken wire strands, and the tach was reading higher than actual. I bought a cheap 2 1/16" tach from Autozone to check it out. When hooked up the little tach read right on. I ended up bypassing the tach filter and going straight to the distributor with the wire. BTW the filter can be seen from under the car on the drivers side its mounted to one of the transmission/engine bolts near the top. Its a little silver canister thats got one wire in either end, the canister is about 1" in diameter and maybe 2" long.

I would bet its the Tach Filter. Its inline from the tach output from the distributor to the display. My '90's was bad, broken wire strands, and the tach was reading higher than actual. I bought a cheap 2 1/16" tach from Autozone to check it out. When hooked up the little tach read right on. I ended up bypassing the tach filter and going straight to the distributor with the wire. BTW the filter can be seen from under the car on the drivers side its mounted to one of the transmission/engine bolts near the top. Its a little silver canister thats got one wire in either end, the canister is about 1" in diameter and maybe 2" long.

Thanks for the info I will take a look at the filter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom