Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tach Quit

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
What would make the Tach on my 76 just up and quit working? It was jerking a lot after a disturbutor change but still working then a few days ago it just stopped working, you can see it move slightly when the key is turned on but that is all. Any ideas?

Is it a mechanical tach. If so I would disconnect it from distributer and spin cable slowly with drill and see if the tach moves. If not its probably in cable or tach. If it moves, then its probably the gears in distributer. Is it plugged in good on both ends? I believe on mine I had a sleeve that slipped over the cable end that went in distributer. One time when I had it out, the piece feel off and I didnt know it. It wouldnt hardly move the tach. When going back in to take it loose again I noticed the sleeve laying on manifold and put it back on and it worked. Mine has an MSD tach drive distributer so not sure whether yours would have one or not

If your wiring isn't messed coming from the dist., then it is probably the circuit board on the back of the tach. They go bad and short out. You have to pull the dash on the drivers side, not an easy task. Just put my dash all back in, hope it is the last time!!! Check wiring coming out of tach, it could be loose.

Its orginal and I know how hard getting to the back of the tack is so I may just let it alone for a while. Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom