Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa Top Panel Disassembly

timfitz63

Corvette
'98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
Has anybody got any instructions or pointers on how to disassemble the targa top panel? I've picked up a one of the solid (painted) tops (salvaged, but in very good condition) with the intent of having it painted to match (as much as it can be said to do so) Aztec Gold #15, and want to remove the fiberglass panel to simplify the preparation and painting process for whomever ends up doing it for me. I also need to replace the rubber window seals on either side of the top, as they're slightly damaged (still probably useable, but I'm fussy... :D).

I have an exploded parts diagram for that assembly, but it really doesn't illustrate very well how all the pieces are actually held together (screws, adhesive/bonding, etc.). I can see a couple of obvious screws at either end of the window seals and for the trim piece covering the rear latch assembly, but beyond that...? Any help is appreciated!

It sounds like you do not have access to a factory repair manual. I would suggest if you plan on doing much of your own work, you obtain on on CD. They can be had for very little and free if you download it from the internet.

Here are the instructions for removing the weatherstripping:

Remove the roof lift off panel.

1. Remove the screws from the ends of the weatherstrip.
  2. Remove the weatherstrip by gently pulling the weatherstrip from the retainer.
  3. Clean the surface of old sealant material.

To replace:

1. Apply a 6.0 X 40 mm (0.25 X 1.5 in) bead of sealer the front and to the rear corners of the retainer as shown in the illustration.
    • Apply the bead of sealer to the roof.
    • Apply the bead of sealer to the retainer.
    • Apply the bead of sealer to the ends of the retainer.
4. Peel the protective film from the foam tape on the ends of the new weatherstrip, or install two sided tape to the ends of a reused weatherstrip.
  1. 5. Install the weatherstrip into the retainer using a nylon spatula or your fingers. Start at the forward edge and work rearward.
6. Install the screws at the ends of the weatherstrip. Hold the weatherstrip to prevent the weatherstrip from rotating.

To remove the retainers:
  1. Mark the location of the retainer.
  2. Remove the screws attaching the retainer.
  3. Remove the retainer by gently pulling the retainer loose from the roof panel.
  4. Clean the retainer and the roof panel contact surfaces to remove any old foam sealing tape.

I hope this helps.

It sounds like you do not have access to a factory repair manual. I would suggest if you plan on doing much of your own work, you obtain on on CD. They can be had for very little and free if you download it from the internet...

Your assumption about the repair manual is correct. If you could point me toward a good source, I'd appreciate it!

... I hope this helps.

I'll let you know after I take a crack at disassembling the thing...! :D A couple of clarifications regarding the instructions you provided:
  1. Is it possible to post the illustration referred to by the instructions, indicating the location for the weatherstripping sealant on the front and rear corners?
  2. I presume that the part about removing the retainers allows removal of the painted (body color) panel from the targa top assembly?
  3. Also, it appears from the instructions that I will need extra materials (sealant for the weatherstripping, perhaps some kind of foam sealing tape for the retainers) to complete the re-assembly; do you have GM part numbers for those materials?
Thanks!

I'll let you know after I take a crack at disassembling the thing...! :D A couple of clarifications regarding the instructions you provided:
  1. Is it possible to post the illustration referred to by the instructions, indicating the location for the weatherstripping sealant on the front and rear corners?
  2. I presume that the part about removing the retainers allows removal of the painted (body color) panel from the targa top assembly?
  3. Also, it appears from the instructions that I will need extra materials (sealant for the weatherstripping, perhaps some kind of foam sealing tape for the retainers) to complete the re-assembly; do you have GM part numbers for those materials?
Thanks!
Tim,The panted panel doesn't come off of the targa reinforcement,It's glued just like a C4!Just remove the W/S's and hardware and mask the bottom side.
If the headliner is good,Don't remove it,It will 99 times out of a 100 destroy it!:thumb

:beer

Last edited:
PS........
You don't really have to remove the hardware,Just the W/S's and moldings!:thumb

I'll PM you on the Service Manuel,I might have a spair!:thumb

:beer

Last edited:
Tim,The panted panel doesn't come off of the targa reinforcement,It's glued just like a C4!Just remove the W/S's and hardware and mask the bottom side.
If the headliner is good,Don't remove it,It will 99 times out of a 100 destroy it!

OK, Jesse! Good to know before I tried prying it all apart! Thanks! It's odd though: the exploded parts diagram gives the impression that the painted panel on these targa tops are separate and removable... ;shrug

Yeah, the headliner is in excellent condition; just needed a bit of cleaning.

... You don't really have to remove the hardware,Just the W/S's and moldings!:thumb

I'll PM you on the Service Manuel,I might have a spair!:thumb

Cool! :thumb

Sticker shock on targa top weather stripping

I just got a price check on replacement weather stripping for these C5 targa tops -- and almost ended up in the same cardiac ward that my father was in a week ago: $310.47 EACH!! At a combined cost of almost $621, that's almost as much as I paid for the entire top!! :eek For for a couple feet of weather stripping...! That's one helluva 'Corvette tax...!!' :mad

And I'm pretty sure the weather strips were damaged by negligent packing by the original merchant; their shipping carton was fabricated out of the remnants of a box for another product, and the top wasn't particularly well-secured inside of it (just some strips of thin foam to keep it from sliding around too much). Both weather strips are damaged in exactly the same spot, and these are the portions of the weather stripping that protrude behind the top (i.e., they're not 'protected' by the shape of the top assembly); it's likely that the top was resting on the edge of the weather stripping during shipment, and the support metal inside the rubber strip buckled, then cut/poked through the exterior seal.

Speculation about the cause aside, what gives here...?! Have I inquired about the wrong part numbers (10313370
and 10313371
)...? Are the innards of the weather stripping made of platinum...? Or does GM think they're entitled to taxpayer bailout money, then plan to repay the loan by applying extortionist-style mark-ups when selling replacement parts to said taxpayers...?! :mad​

GM Parts Direct is a little better!:thumbgmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

31-38 of 38 Parts
1 2 3 4
resultset_nextDisabled.png
resultset_lastDisabled.png
BODY HARDWARE / ROOF / ROOF & COMPONENTS / Upper w'strip
Upper w'strip COUPE Left

MSRPOnline Price
$310.47$193.73
View Part Diagram -- Item #5
Upper w'strip COUPE Right

MSRPOnline Price
$310.47$193.73

GM Parts Direct is a little better!:thumbgmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

31-38 of 38 Parts
Upper w'strip COUPE LeftMSRPOnline Price
$310.47$193.73
Upper w'strip COUPE RightMSRPOnline Price
$310.47$193.73

Thanks, Jesse! That's considerably better; now we're down to outrageously-priced... ;)

Any luck dredging up a spare C5 Service Manual?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom