Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"TB Power Coupler"

C

CSM87

Has anyone out there tried the "Power Coupler" (uncorrugated TB inlet hose)that is avaliable from Mid America? The concept sounds OK; smooth surface, unrestricted air flow, more "power"; however, I'm concerned that the stiff connection between the MAF sensor and the TB will cause damage to the MAF sensor from increased vibration. Any ideas?

The stiffness won't cause any problem with the MAF, but it will make it more difficult to remove the air filter box because there is no "give" to the coupler. IMHO, the money ($40+) could be better spent elsewhere. ;)

I saw this mod as well, but only saw it for the C5 and I think it was more in the $69+ neighborhood.

I have to agree with Ken, the money can be spent better elsewhere.

Hey, Thanks for the info. Can't see paying $49.99 for a $5.00 piece of plastic....

Reviving an old thread but has anyone tried it? After changing bathroom fan ducts at home, I can see where a smooth surface makes for better and easier airflow than a corrugated one (which really reduces the effective diameter). The prices have dropped a bit.

Get a TB foil, and get the front edge honed like a blade edge.

Schrade wrote
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:
anesthes wrote:

You absolutely need an airfoil if you have a blower. The air crashes into the pits of the throttle body, causing a huge restriction.
Why does it matter?​
You have a single column of air moving through the snorkel. Keep in mind, 'single column', as a whole. The 'single' column moves until it hits a block.

The first thing that happens then is that the column as a single unit stops. Yes, as a single unit, it stops. If we could see the effect of this, we'd notice 'shock' waves bouncing BACK UP the 'broken' mass of air. Throw a rock into the pond, and watch the waves go outward, except for the ones that hit the sign in the water. They send waves BACK to you.

That lost movement of mass/energy cannot be recovered beyond the post (TB divider). No amount of vacuum will compensate for that lost mass.

Put a foil on the post, and the waves won't reflect to the same degree. They would reflect perpendicular to the net flow at worst, and have to contend with the unblocked remnant.

Ideally, in the TB, given that you have to have the 'post', the deflection would be minimized by the 'foil', and into to 2 bores, which would spiral the air like the juicy jam in your toilet, into the smaller part of the bore.

Your point about the negative pressure pullin' in the air regardless is good. But what is stopping the 'fill'? Not only the TB post, but also the shock waves bouncing back up the incoming flow.

Add a blower, and all variables are amplified - INCLUDING the shockwave bouncing back up the flow.

So every little thing you do to smooth it all out does make a difference????

Foil itself won't be noticed. But yes, keep rounding off all the corners, and they will add up. Like savin' $$$ nickel here, dime there, pretty soon interest starts addin' up...

I worked in HVAC in the past and we always looked at moving air as if it were moving water. I put an air foil on my 88 and I don't know about any performance increase but the exhuast note definitly changed and the car seems to run smoother. Wether that's real or imagined I don't know, but I always felt that smoother flow is better.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom