Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Temperature vs Thermostat

RonzBoyz

Corvette
1985 Black
warren s
wrote: (I turn on the fans at 200 instead of letting the cycle between 235 and 210)
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/120912-160-degree-thermostat-install.html
My 85 heating concerns…
I put in a new 195 thermostat. The engine, heads up has been rebuilt. The engine is clean!! I was running on the autobahn the other day, 125+ - , nervously monitoring the temp. I have never really ran the car before this. It was running around 240 F. The radiator failed.
The fan does come on.
Is there something I can do, other than a manual switch, to have the fan come on at 200? A sensor, resistor somewhere or reprogram the computer? Should I?

Ronzboyz

warren s
wrote: (I turn on the fans at 200 instead of letting the cycle between 235 and 210)
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/120912-160-degree-thermostat-install.html
My 85 heating concerns…
I put in a new 195 thermostat. The engine, heads up has been rebuilt. The engine is clean!! I was running on the autobahn the other day, 125+ - , nervously monitoring the temp. I have never really ran the car before this. It was running around 240 F. The radiator failed.
The fan does come on.
Is there something I can do, other than a manual switch, to have the fan come on at 200? A sensor, resistor somewhere or reprogram the computer? Should I?

Ronzboyz
At 125+/- MPH,It won't matter what temp the fans kick on,there is more air being forced through the radiator than 10 cooling fans can draw!!:thumb
You need to be checking for deb're clogging air flow through Radiator and AC Condenser!!:thumb:thumb

I'd check for loose scale and deb're inside the cooling system reducing coolant flow too!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

:beer

If your car is running that hot when running 125 on the autobahn, changing the fan on temps will be pointless because above 40 mph, the fans offer no additional cooling.

First, check to make sure the front air dam is installed and in good condition. Then pull off the top of the cooling stack and clear the area ahead of the radiator or betweeen the hvac condensor and the radiator of any debris you find. Replace the 195° 'state with a 180, then road test the car and see what the coolant temp does.

air dam?

I am new to the vette world. I take it that some air flow blockage seems to be the problem.
I have a new radiator on order. When I install I will take a look to see if there was/is some blockage.

Normal operating temp? Manual switch?

Above 100 mph, temp to expect? Oil temp?

I'm in the learning mode, thanks all.

RonzBoyz

The air dam is the long horizontal plastic part under the front center of the nose, usually the thin plastic thing that scrapes on driveways and bumps. It helps to channel the incoming air into the radiator as the car is moving. As Corvettes don’t have any open grill surfaces the air dam helps the air going under the car into the radiator from below.

On a 1985 in good running condition, in top gear going 125 isn’t that easy but my guess is to still see normal temps (in the low 200 range.) Oil temps will be about 15 to 25 degrees higher.

The manual switch is intended for low speeds when sufficient air flow is not available.

ok I will explain and keep it simple....air-dam---front spoiler that catches air and forces it up into the air chamber for the radiator, the a/c condenser, and engine intake air all breath right there,

Take the top OFF the radiator and get the trash out. You will find feathers, a dead squirrel, a bird or two, plastic bags from local grocery stores and a styrofoam coffee cup.

once that area is sterile again, get the parts in position and reseat the top half......................... . and remount, find all renegade screws, bolt up, and test drive. Should be a 45 Min job. Lunch-time.

DO inspect the condensor condition. Too many bent fins will restrict airflow to the radiator.

The easiest way to gain some fan control is to buy another ECM Prom that will turn on the fans at a lower temp, OR some places offer a temp sending unit that will do that too.
Get it clean first. Every bit of air that a corvette gets comes off the street surface. Much like a vaccumn cleaner. This also means that it sucks up lots of trash and dirt along with fresh air.

All, thanks for the posts.

Now:

"On a 1985 in good running condition, in top gear going 125 isn’t that easy"
The car runs great! I STILL have power at 125.

Air dam, damn! I have the radiator on order. I will clean out the stuff, I hope. I hope it is that simple/easy.

180' thermostat, got it!

I'll post my results, appx 10 days. Thanks to AUTOZONE :thumb. They ship free to the troops overseas :beer!

What are the comments on an external oil cooler?

The new radiator is in. I had some leaves in the air dam. That and the old radiator being 1/3 decaid was the cause of the heating problem.

Now the temp hangs around 195, I have a 195 thermostat. Yeah it goes up and down but on the autobahn it's fine.

Thanks to all that gave me pointers.

Again, AUTOZONE, $160 for the radiator, free shipping to the troops. Thanks!

Had no idea Autozone did that and they don't use it in their advertizing either. Kinda cool.

huh....nice to see a company REALLY do something to support our troops besides just talk about it.
Actions are the best indicator of intent.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom