Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Texas Here I Come!

Nevets2004

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe / Lt. Oak
Greetings Y'all,

I've just found out that I will be relocating from wonderful Pennsylvania to the sunny Dallas Texas area. I've been down there once for about a week and absolutely loved it. I know it gets hot down there and I can deal with that.

But I heard some horror stories about the hail. I heard that after a significant hail storm that your car(metal car that is) can look like someone attacked it with a ball-peen hammer !! OMG, what could that possibly do to a Corvette?

So, can any Texans out there give me the low down on Texas/Corvette living? Are tumble weeds an issue? Can a rattle from a rattlesnake puncture a tire? Has anyone ever hit a cow?

Future Cowboys fan,

Nevets2004 said:
Greetings Y'all,

I've just found out that I will be relocating from wonderful Pennsylvania to the sunny Dallas Texas area. I've been down there once for about a week and absolutely loved it. I know it gets hot down there and I can deal with that.

But I heard some horror stories about the hail. I heard that after a significant hail storm that your car(metal car that is) can look like someone attacked it with a ball-peen hammer !! OMG, what could that possibly do to a Corvette?

So, can any Texans out there give me the low down on Texas/Corvette living? Are tumble weeds an issue? Can a rattle from a rattlesnake puncture a tire? Has anyone ever hit a cow?

Future Cowboys fan,
I'm not from Texas!! But I spend alot of Time there!! No, Tumble weed's are not a problem, No,a Rattle from a RattleSnake Can't Puncture a Tire!! But a Fang Can!! Yes,I have hit a 1600# Black Angus Bull with a Corvette!! And it was not a Trip I wish to Take agine!! But not in Texas!! :upthumbs junk!!

I had a buddy here in Oklahoma City get caught in a hail storm in his C5 and got zero damage! I was in the same hail storm in my Tahoe and got $5,000 worth of damage!

Greetings, you will like it here. This fall has been awesome, we had temps over a 100 up until about 3 weeks ago. Tha past few weeks it has been in the 70's during the day and in the 50's at night.
I've been here 7 years and winter is great compared to up north. We may get snow or ice once or twice a winter. After that it's back to 70's.
The hail is very sporadic. I have yet to see any more than nickel size while some other areas may get softball size, guess I'm counting my self lucky.
I have always been told if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 20 minutes. I agree, it can change rapidly but for the most part you can't beat it. True the summers can be brutal, high A/C bills. You either have to have a boat or a pool in order to get thru it. I happen to live on Lake Lewisville and I spend every weekend during the summer on the lake.
If you need any help or information don't hesitate to post. You definitely want to live north of town, be it Dallas or Fort Worth. Thats where most of the expansion is.
As for Corvettes, being in te big city you get to see 'em all. There are some good Corvette shops around and there are plenty of clubs.
Let us know how you make out, intended date of arrival and where you end up.

Thanks 68Roadster,

I've lived in the north east all my life so Texas is going to be a huge change for me and the family. I'm a little worried about the heat but I'll just have to deal with it. One criteria for the new house will definiately be a pool. I sold my boat a few years ago, so I'll revisit the boat scene when I get down there.

Some of my co-workers have bought homes in Lewisville, Coppell, Flower Mound and Trophy Club. It's good to hear that the large hail is rare. Unless something really unexpected happens, I'll be moving down after June. I'll post some threads after I get there looking for Corvette related stuff.

Thanks

Yeah the heat is definiely something to deal with but it goes in cycles. Some summers are bad and some are tolerable.
When we moved here we were in Flower Mound then we decided to move somewhere where they had trees so we are up near Corinth, Lake Dallas.
The boating is great, Lewisville is huge.
I would like to get a pool, had one in Flower Mound, we'll see how that goes....
Cloudy but 74 degrees right now.....you gott alove it....keep in touch.

No trees! Yikes. Plenty of trees in PA. I'll look for a hood with some trees then. I'll add Corinth to my list. Thanks.

I live in Grand Prairie outside Dallas known as the Arm Pit of the Metroplex(not really) it's really a great place to live. When you get here drop me an email and we can possibly get together. Welcome aboard.

Nevets2004 said:
No trees! Yikes. Plenty of trees in PA. I'll look for a hood with some trees then. I'll add Corinth to my list. Thanks.

Steve,
Some people move close to work around here, some move out to get away from it all. I chose to get out somewhere nice but I pay for it when driving to and from work. Travel up and down I-35 can be a nightmare.
Out on the east side of Dallas is nice too, out around The Colony, Frisco, Plano....too many choices. Hold out for those trees, theya re here, you just gotta find them!

Cee

living in the burbs is the way to go, and there are a lot of nice places

but before you buy, check the commute from where you work

let that heavily influence where you live

lots of choices in all directions from the metro areas of Dallas and Ft Worth

don't let the heat bother you

you are used to hibernating in the winter, here you just hibernate in the summer

It will be a big change for you scenery wise, but if you get home sick for trees, east Texas has tons of them and is only a short drive away. You'll like that Texas has no state income tax, housing is very affordable, and while the summers can be extremely hot, you'll get used to it. Winters are nothing more than a mild inconvenience. It snows here about once every three or four years, and then the snow only lasts a day or two at most. Ice is the big winter malady, but it also only lasts a day or two, and only happens once or twice a winter. Best to stay home on those days, as people tend to run into each other when it gets cloudy. I moved here 25 years ago and have never looked back. I've even gotten used to working in the garage all day when it's 100+ outside. Just gotta keep those frosty cold beverages close by.

Oh yeah, a pool is mandatory. Don't know what I ever did without one before. If you get one with a hot tub, you have year round enjoyment.

Welcome to the Lone Star State!

McKinney

Welcome to Texas, and yes it can get really hot. It hasn't been that bad the last couple of years though. We're here in McKinney and my commute to Dallas is approx 40-45 min if you leave before 6:20am, after that and it could be much longer. But if I'd known I would have bought closer to work.

We've only seen it hail here twice and it was only small pea size. The larger hail seems to be to the west of us, I've heard and seen softball size towards Denton. My garage is a woodworking shop and I cringe every time the weather man says possible hail. We are looking into getting a carport extention for the garage for my 04 baby ;). I keep her covered most of the time with a good Wolf cover, but it would be no match for the larger size hail. And yes trees are few and far between, but look at it this way, no trees, no bird droppings on your vette :D . Anyway good luck.

Wow, thanks for the great responses! I'll take the local traffic into consideration, several people have mentioned living close to work. A short commute has always ben a dream. I grew up on Long Island and then moved to PA. My train commute to NYC has always been two hours. I'll be working in Coppell so it looks like there are plenty of nice places near by. We're thinking of coming down in December for a first look.

Anyway, this is a Corvette forum and not a relo company and I appreciate everyone's advice. I figure we should talk a little about Corvettes before the administrator's shut this thread down.

Right now it;s sunny and feels like its in the 70's so I'm going outside now to wash the baby and maybe a little wax before the harsh weather shows up.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to driving some of your long straight roads at slightly over the speed limit ;) .

leonm47 said:
I live in Grand Prairie outside Dallas known as the Arm Pit of the Metroplex(not really) it's really a great place to live. When you get here drop me an email and we can possibly get together. Welcome aboard.

I'll probably take you up on that. It looks like you and some other folks in TX and I have some things in common. Do you belong to a Corvette club? Are there many to chose from? There are two or three near here in PA but I haven't joined any, just cruised their websites.

Lucky you! I left the Metroplex for the insanity of NJ. Texas is packed full of Corvette lovers and fans. If you really want to meet a great bunch of people, hook up with the Lone Star Corvette Club.

torch95red said:
Lucky you! I left the Metroplex for the insanity of NJ. Texas is packed full of Corvette lovers and fans. If you really want to meet a great bunch of people, hook up with the Lone Star Corvette Club.

Mikey,
You can always come back.....we'll let you in.....besides it's my turn to drive that CE.....

Better hurry up for that CE test drive, the white stuff is coming and she'll be in storage til Spring.

torch95red said:

I Just checked out the Lone Star Corvette Club's website. Looks like an active club and they meet in the area where I've bee house hunting.

Thanks for the info

I made it! I arrived this afternoon. The plane ride here was terrible (They lost my luggage), but I made it.

My Vette made it here a few weeks ago and I missed her very much. Anyway, wr're back together now. I got the new tags as well. I left the front licence plate off however. I saw a few Vettes today with only the rear tag. I think Texas is a mandatory front a rear tag state but I'l take my chances.

Hope to see some of you on the road. I've never belonged to a Corvette club before but I may look around now that I'm here

Thanks to all who have gave me great suggestions during this thread

Steve,
Where did you end up at?
On my wife's 2004 I just stuck the front tag behind the CORVETTE cover on the front. If you get any grief just pop the 2 screws out and she's uncovered.

You got here at the right time. We have had one heck of a heat wave. Today makes 3 days this month UNDER 100....almost had to break out a sweatshirt tonite.

Welcome, keep in touch.

Cee

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom