Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

That Bubba guy sure gets around!

V

Vette66AirCoupe

On the heals of discovering that Bubba had put fender bolts in in my spare tire tub ruining the tapped threads in the process I just found out that he also put the wrong coarse thread bolt in my crankshaft when he installed the harmonic balancer. Fortunately it could be retapped to accept the proper fine thread bolt. On the bright side, now that the timing can actually be set properly the car runs better than ever! :beer While I was at it I also had the proper belts put on the car so I'm continuing my march towards a more correct car. Let's see, now according to my calculations that's about 10 items down and 4,374 to go! Progress! :D

Vette66AirCoupe said:
Let's see, now according to my calculations that's about 10 items down and 4,374 to go! Progress! :D

Something about a long journey begins with a single step...:)

Terry,

Are you going to try to top flight the car? What do you mean when you say you put "the proper belts put on the car?"
I keep hearing I should hve Quanta belts on to make sure of a proper seating in the pulleys.

Yes, I'd like to think that someday I will get the car Top Flighted. I've more or less started the process and am admittedly picking the low hanging fruit so far. I've changed all of the bolts on the front and read bumpers, installed the spacers that were missing there, more bolts on the hood latch, prop and springs, installed a nipple and drain hose on the fuel filler boot, where there was none, changed out the incorrect U-nuts and screws on the windshield wiper grilles and fuel fill bezel, painted the hood springs black etc, etc. I have two boxes in the garage now. One marked "'66 to be intalled" and one marked "Removed form '66"

The belts were all incorrect though functional and I did order all of them from Quanta. Very quick service by the way.

This forum has been a God send in this process. A recent thread about the oil pressure line replacement has me better prepared for that little chore. I bought a new one as the one on the car now doesn't have the two loops it's supposed to have before going through the firewall. I especially want to publicly thank John Loli, Jl66redcpe, who took the time to hunt me down at a recent show and introduce himself and offered me some encouragement and good advice. As I've said before, I love this place! :CAC

Vette66AirCoupe said:
On the heals of discovering that Bubba had put fender bolts in in my spare tire tub ruining the tapped threads in the process I just found out that he also put the wrong coarse thread bolt in my crankshaft when he installed the harmonic balancer. Fortunately it could be retapped to accept the proper fine thread bolt. On the bright side, now that the timing can actually be set properly the car runs better than ever! :beer While I was at it I also had the proper belts put on the car so I'm continuing my march towards a more correct car. Let's see, now according to my calculations that's about 10 items down and 4,374 to go! Progress! :D

Well I am also wanting to have my 66 flight judged.And me also have read the manuals front ot back several times. I have a punch list of items that I know I definatley have to do ,but I took a break from the car for a years or two,now that my 62 is done I have to get back in gear with the 66.and just quit making excuses.

I do have the entire TI system out of the car and I have to send it to Dave Feilder.

I can tell you the closer I think I get the further I realize I have to go. I think I have all of my parts needed in the gargae with the exception of a correct dated carb.

I am definatley going to the old town meet with hopes of be coming an observer Judge with the midyear guys to better understand how the judging goes. I was going to this meet last year but had to cancel because of a emergeny work commitment in a different part of florida. As all the fellow where flying into florida for the show I was leaving florida to come back home

Terry -- thank you for the kind words. Like everyone here, I also love to discuss corvettes --- of all kinds. I also have the same marked boxes as you. However, I wish there were only two of them. Sounds like you are really moving along with the car. Please remember to have fun along the way and dont take the judging process too serious or personally. Regarding Bubba, we have all found evidence of his presence in all our cars -- certainly mine included.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom