Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: That dark day is here....

Corvette
92 coupe black rose
Okay, so just how bad is it to change the water pump and opti on my 92 LT1?

Thought I'd smelled antifreeze when I stopped at the gas station on the way home today...filled up the gas tank (go figure! :L) and looked where my car was sitting when I pulled out, cement was dry so I guessed that maybe it was someone else's car. Got home and didn't notice anything, did a wash and polish job this afternoon (nice timing again huh?:eyerole) and moved it, when I did I noticed the smell of antifreeze again. Popped the hood and the front of the motor is damp, couple of places just a bit of a drop forming where it might be able to, wipe the drops with my finger and sniff...yep, antifreeze.:ugh Actually, 50k miles in three or so years with some pretty spirited driving stuck off in there and no telling how long it's been since the water pump and opti were replaced before I got it, so I'm not complaining as much as trying to just figure out how hard a job this is, if I want to hand it off to my mechanic, or if I'm just scaring myself too much and should just grab the wrenches and get on it. :eek:hnoes

Pressure test

I would get the cooling system pressure tested (source of leak),and consider an additive (sealant)before I went whole hog on the water pump opti replacement.:eek:hnoes
It seems your leak is so minor it hasn't reached the pavement (drip) yet.:beer
I understand it IS do-able if your handy with a wrench,but quite involved,check around on this site for instructions.

Ouch! Hate to hear it, Rascal.

Of course, Kevin replaced mine when it went on my '94 so I can't speak from a wrenching standpoint. BUT.... considering the trips and mileage you put on her frequently I'm glad it happened at home.

Good luck!
:wJane Ann

Charlie, it's not that bad, just a little time consuming.

Charlie, I understand the Opti and Water Pump are not big deals as Tom says, but time consuming plus ordering the parts. Not sure about the 92 opti, but you may want to switch to the MSD instead of the GM. I have not replaced the Opti on my 94, but have done the water pump on both my 91 (now gone) and the 94. You need to get this done before the Dragon run. See you in Cleveland.
Barrett

Hey Tom, define "a little time consuming" lol.

Thanks for the input Ken, I'm quite sure it's the water pump going and with plans that I have through the year, I'd much rather just go ahead and get the whole job done instead of taking a chance on something that may turn out to be a temporary fix and have it go out a couple hundred miles from home.

I'm definitely going with an MSD opti, I actually already had one but it turns out it's the wrong one and am currently getting that swapped out and I hope to have the correct one here by friday...right now I'm kind of leaning towards tackling this myself this weekend. I still have a DeWitts radiator to put in too...may just go on replace that also along with all new hoses while I'm at it...

Question about the MSD opti, it has a timing setting that you can adjust to +/-5 degree's...should I probably leave this set at zero (I would imagine thats the factory setting?) and the computer adjusts the timing of the car as needed...right or wrong?

Thanks ya'll!

Charlie, I think when I did mine it could have been about a 4 hour job......but, I also was changing out the seals on the front cover (i.e. water pump drive, Opti drive and Crankshft drive seals). Again this is probably not a bad time to consider doing this, especially if any one of them is seeping. If you are going to do this, let me know as there is a write up that will help in the process.

Going with the MSD is smart (I wish that I had). As far as the +/- 5* I think that I would run her straight up. I'm not sure what the advantages are for having that adjustment.

The more I think about it, the more I keep thinking I'm just going to take care of it myself...what kind of helpful stuff do you have for me, links or something to post here, or you can email me at rascal_rascal_99@yahoo.com

If you are going to replace the seals on the timing cover there are some helpful hints on doing that, that I got from another forum....Impala SS forum of some sort. I have it in Word format at home. I'll try to check on it when I get home this evening.

Nope I was wrong, I have them here at school. I'll email them to you......three separate word docs.

Rascal,

I made the same repairs about 2 years back. There are a few tough areas (at least for me)

Removing damper, I had to get the GM tool, space too tight between damper and frame for any puller I could borrow/find
All of the front cover seals were leaking and needed replacing, there is a neat tip in the articles mentioned above about using the cover off a Sharpie marker as a tool to slide the water pump drive seal over, works great.
I replace all 137?? cooling system hoses as age/heat were getting to them.
I put in a timing chain as well since I was at 120K and it was stretched
In my case I had to replace the front hub as well since the seal had grooved it badly, couldn't find the repair sleeve that is sometimes used

Take your time and you'll be OK. I am 30K later no problems.

Mike

Thanks Tom, appreciate it! Not sure if I'll do the seals or not, as far as I know they're not leaking at all and if not then I probably won't touch them. Then again, once I get into the front a bit I may end up changing my mind and doing them too.

And I know ya know this but ! critters love anti freeze ,a little bit can kill 'em.

Just in case ya didn't know ,even though i'm sure ya did.

Charlie, you'll only need the Kent-Moore tool if you decide to replace the crank seal. Let me know as I have the tool and I will send it to you if you need it. I think I let someone else borrow it and it cost me about $10 to mail it out (One heck of a lot cheaper than buying one!).

Charlie, you'll only need the Kent-Moore tool if you decide to replace the crank seal. Let me know as I have the tool and I will send it to you if you need it. I think I let someone else borrow it and it cost me about $10 to mail it out (One heck of a lot cheaper than buying one!).

THANKS!!!

I'll let you know if I think I'm going to need it, the opti I need won't be here until monday now, so that gives me until then to figure out if I'm doing it myself or not now. As far as the seals go though, unless something happens to disturb them during the opti/waterpump swap, I really believe they're fine...maybe....lol.

Thanks for all the input guys!

When I did mine, I went to the extreme...I changed the timing gears & chain, oil seals, dropped the oil pan, changed ALL gaskets, cleaned out the oil pump screen, and every sensor I saw came off and went in the can, spark plugs & wires, water pump, hoses, and a new "GM" opti. The aftermarket units don't fit any of the LT1's until 94'. It was a 2 day job, but the engine ran like new when I was done! I now get about 22-25 mpg all the time. Yea, costed a little more, But to me it was worth the effort. The one piece of advice I will give is on the balancer, Put it back on perfectly aligned! I got all the info. on it I could before reinstalling it, and got it right the first time. Good Luck...Holla if you need help.

The MSD Opti is supposed to be a direct bolt on, they make one for 92 through early 94 models and one for from then on...or that's my understanding anyways, I'll find out definitely for sure on monday.

The MSD Opti is supposed to be a direct bolt on, they make one for 92 through early 94 models and one for from then on...or that's my understanding anyways, I'll find out definitely for sure on monday.

Yea, Charlie I think you are right. I almost went the MSD route, but then ended up with AC/Delco.

I replaced my cap & rotor last year. I spent the better part of two days. I was very careful as I went along. Cleaned everything up spotlessly before reinstalling any part.

Just make sure to take your time. Your back will start to hurt after the first hour from bending over both sides.

The following links should help:

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/16758/index.html

http://www.gmhightechperformance.co...ion_system_understanding_modifying/index.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/optispark.html

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom