Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: That dark day is here....

This is more of an update for anyone wondering about the MSD compatibility than anything else. Once I got the original off, it has a plug right on the edge of the distributor, the MSD opti had a pigtail coming off...so it's not a perfect plug and play exchange, but for anyone getting into this job I would expect if they can go in this deep then they can probably do some very simple wiring also and shouldn't have any trouble. Just make sure you have solid connections where you have to splice the wires together, and seal it good to prevent moisture from getting in. I soldered the connections, then slid a piece of heat shrink tubing over it and shrinked that down good. Over each end of this piece of heat shrink, I had a smaller piece on each end that I slid onto the ends and shrinked those down too...this may be a bit of overkill, but I don't think I have to worry about anything getting to the connections!;)

As for the wiring, the MSD Tech that answered my phone call (those guys have always been great for me!:upthumbs) sounded slightly confused and I may have actually gotten the wrong opti sent, but it was still very usable. Is there a difference in years between 92 and 93-94 that some years had a pigtail coming off of the opti and some had a pigtail from the car that plugged straight into the side of the opti? Anyways...If you run into this doing this job, here is the wiring from the car to MSD colors that I had to connect

GM/Car MSD
Yellow-----------Red
Blue&Red---------Brown&Yellow
Purple&White-----Brown&Orange
Black&Pink-------Red&Green

Also, the opti does have a timing adjustment screw...but it's preset at OEM specs, so unless there is some definite reason to adjust it, I'd leave it alone.

Thanks for the update...is it running or is it still in the process of being put back together?

Thanks for the update...is it running or is it still in the process of being put back together?

yes and yes...opti/water pump are back on, still working on the radiator...fired it up for just long enough to make sure it was back together right as far as that goes, not long enough to start warming up

I don't know when the last time your plug wires were changed if ever but this would be a good time to replace them. You will have much better access to run the wires correctly.;)

I don't know when the last time your plug wires were changed if ever but this would be a good time to replace them. You will have much better access to run the wires correctly.;)

Plug wires are reasonably new and in great shape...but I did take this as a chance to check them out and make sure everything was good on them, thanks anyways!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom