Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Big, Big Block Build.........

Got the block and crank back today. On a sad note, the .030 TRW forged (lower compression) pistons that were in this block somehow grew legs and walked out of the machine shop. When I was picking up my stuff I asked where my old pistons were. The shop manager replied "Oh, you did not say anything about wanting them back", while I am thinking, what part of dropping my rods and pistons off made them your property. Anyway, I got two stories. One guy said they pressed them off the rods and threw them out...........and the junk man had just come and gone with them. The other guy said that two of them cracked while pressing the rods out.

In any event, I am sad to say that I will not longer be doing business with them. It is not so much the loss of money (I had a fellow that was interested in buying them for around $100), but the clearly dishonest response I got from the shop.

On to a happier note. I will bang this thing together on Saturday. I am still looking for the perfect set of roller rockers, by which I will then be able match push rods.

MVC-003S.JPG

69MyWay said:
In any event, I am sad to say that I will not longer be doing business with them. It is not so much the loss of money (I had a fellow that was interested in buying them for around $100), but the clearly dishonest response I got from the shop.

Sorry to hear that Dude, but you know what I've been going through as well. Sometimes I just have no fight left in me. :eyerole

_ken :grinshot

Yep, thats B_ll crap. Ive had similar things happen with good shops too! But they thought they could just do anything and no big deal:mad

But, yer smilin now Chris..good pic.
Tom

What a full day today.

Painted the block last night (builders cast with clear coat).

Started early this morning, crank, rods, cam, timing chain, oil pump, timing cover, oil pan, heads.

I am exhausted. Especially when I realized I put the pistons in upside down After I had already started boltin on the passenger side head :cry

Nikki is an awesome shop helper. She rolled up her sleeves and made short work of swaping the pistons around.
crank%20installed.JPG

Here the pistons are in (up side down!)

Pistons%20in.JPG

Ah, the sweet feeling of success (or at least less boxes on the shelf!)

right%20front%20of%20engine.JPG

Luv the looks of them Rat motors inside! Lets you know why they are Torque monsters. Just a big ole bruiser settin there ready to knock your socks off when you feel the urge.
Mc Speed will be a whole lot truer very shortly!!!

Minor set back. The flywheel and clutch did not arrive in time to set the engine in this weekend. I have gone ahead and yanked the trans to provide clear room to install the motor. I also had to rig up a bracket and micro switch to trigger the back up lights. I am sure there is a better way, or over the counter way to do this, but I went with stuff I had. I will trim the bracket down more for better looks. Here are some recent pics.

back%20up%20light%20switch%20closed.JPG

Roller%20Rockers%20On%20RT%20side.JPG

Hydraulic%20Release%20Bearing.JPG

Awesome looking engine, Chris. I can almost feel it run. :D Where did you get the Builders Cast paint and Clear Coat for the block. I like the look.

Tom

Got the paint from the local auto parts store. It is just regular old high temp builders cast in a can. I did prep and primer the block first (grey), then two coats of builders cast, then two coats of high temp clear. It holds up just fine.

hey chris that looks awesome... question did you check run out tolerances on your new bell housing hole to your crankshaft? they can be off by quite a bit and can add alot of grief to your shifting especially going into 4 th gear... just thought i would ask the question is all??? i love your set up it does really look great...

66rapidusvettus said:
hey chris that looks awesome... question did you check run out tolerances on your new bell housing hole to your crankshaft? they can be off by quite a bit and can add alot of grief to your shifting especially going into 4 th gear... just thought i would ask the question is all??? i love your set up it does really look great...

Not yet. The bellhousing is just sitting on there with finger tight bolts in that shot. I have to check to see that it is centered, then order offset alignment pins as needed (I hope not to need), and then when the flywheel finally shows up, I have to set it up with the clutch and measure the run out for the shims on the hydraulic release bearing.

So, my motto, measure once, twice, three times, then redo the assembly anyway.

Ken, You can always repaint!

Hey Chris, I was just wondering what kind of hood you were going to use to cover that big motor.That FI looks like its very tall.

I am running the L88 style hood and will be fabricating my air cleaner.

One way or another I will squeeze it in!

The flywheel and clutch came in today! I had to pick up a counter balance shaft weight from our local speed shop as the Quartermaster flywheel comes neutral balanced.

I also picked up a high torque racing starter to get that sweet tight Toyota Camry spinning sound when I spin it over.

So, I have to mount the flywheel, and take measurements for the hydraulic throw out bearing mount, then, she is going in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics man.. Keep us in pics every step. I know you will;)
Tom

tomconners said:
Pics man.. Keep us in pics every step. I know you will;)
Tom

Ask and you shall receive!

Here is a pic showing the starter, flywheel balance weight, and the transmission side of the clutch/flywheel assembly.

MVC-031S.JPG

Here is a pic showing the backside of the flywheel. Now, this is where this thing gets a little more trick than your average ordinary flywheel. Notice first, that it is a small diameter. Second, it has been machined out on the backside to eliminate excess weight and material. Bottom line, less rotating mass, more RPM faster!

I could have gone to the extreme and dropped an aluminum unit in, but this will work just fine for street driving.

MVC-032S.JPG

Did I Miss Something?

Maybe it's me, but I don't see any pictures:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom