Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Big, Big Block Build.........

Chris, I could use your help on the ac install, AGAIN! I got the evaporator in place like it should, so my main concern now is the hoses and the fittings. I ordered my kit with out any hoses just to get the right measurements first. As I'm going to use the same bulk plate as you you propably have the anwers to my questions.

1. What kind of hoses are you using?
2. Where did you get them? Part number?
3. What kind of fittings are you using?
4. How long hoses are you using from eveporator to bulkplate?
5. Does Vintage air make these custom made?
6. In bulk plate there is one connector which is smaller in diameter than the others, which hose connects here?

Ok, I think that'll do for now, so about making so many questions, but there isn't too many with C3 and this set up.

Jay

PS: Got my wheels today! They look mental!

groovyjay said:
Chris, I could use your help on the ac install, AGAIN!
Jay

No problem.

First of all, call Vintage Air back up and order the "hose kit", and hose tool kit. They can also supply the bulkhead connector to go through the firewall.

The kit comes with virtually all the ends and hose length you could ever use. The smaller connector you see is the high pressure line. You will have to run the hoses and heater hoses through the cowl panel. Basically, you will be going through the big oval vent port in the passenger kick panel area. You can later foam it closed. I had already removed these vent ports, so I simply used the hole saw to cut openings. I then had to install half of the upper part of that port back on the outer cowl to divert water away from trying to follow the hoses into the car.

You won't have that problem by leaving the vent housing in place, removing the vent door, and going through there.

This is the most difficult part of the install, that is standing on your head and hooking up the hoses. Not much room to work up inside the cowl, but just keep that goal in mind of frosty cold hidden away a/c. The hard line connectors on the VA unit will virtually touch the under side of the upper dash area. You will have to first fit the unit into place, run the hose length, pick the ends you need, press the lines onto the hoses with the kit, then with the unit partially down, tighten up the lines, then push the unit up into place and bolt down whatever brackets you fabricated to mount it.

The heater hoses are much more simple because they are not directional to the connection, and are attached with hose clamps.

The tool kit Vintage air sells is very nice and easy to use. You will be able to make lines anyway you want. I am running my compressor on the driver side due to some other issues, so my line lengths and yours will be different.

Hope this helps!

Do you have any pics of those rims? Gotta order mine soon.

Thanks a lot Chris, I'll try to contact VA tomorrow to see how they feel about this. One other thing, are you using drier on your system? If you are, what kind?
I took some 20 pics of the wheels before I wrapped them back up. I still need to find the right tires for them and it looks like it's gonna be another 4 weeks to get them here.
Wheels are American Racing TT IIs in 20" diameter. 8" wide front and 10" rears.

This was in My Engine Project... thread:
69MyWay said:
...all these little struggles will turn into fun conversation a year from now!
Hey, even though it's been in a magazine now, it's still fun to read about again. Looking back is so much fun isn't it, and one often wonders what all the fuss was about. :L

At least your project "Killer Shark" is complete Chris; mine continues to be an ongoing project. The engine work was commisioned on December 20, 2001. :eek:

_ken :w

Ken said:
This was in My Engine Project... thread:
Hey, even though it's been in a magazine now, it's still fun to read about again. Looking back is so much fun isn't it, and one often wonders what all the fuss was about. :L

At least your project "Killer Shark" is complete Chris; mine continues to be an ongoing project. The engine work was commisioned on December 20, 2001. :eek:

Yep, suddenly I have all this "free" time...to spend on other projects. A year ago I was pulling my hair out because I never thought it would be ready in time for Sharkfest.

Your car is going to be over the top. No doubt, it will grace the pages of a mag by this time next year. I don't know of any other C4s with such massive mods all designed to make it faster and more reliable.

After all that Z51 has been through....do you have any other nick names for it?

Thanks Chris!

I have really benefited from reading through this thread! I am just now starting to go through the same process, but it will most likely be at a much slower pace. I really do not have a set date for the finished project, I am buying parts as money will allow so I don't go too much in debt. The best thing I have going for me is my wife and kids are excited about the project. My wife, Jennifer, will sit in the garage and provide encouragement, while my daughter, Allison is right in the middle of it wanting to help. She loves the air tools the best and loves having her hands dirty. My son, Will, checks on me once in a while to provide encouragement, but does not like having his hands dirty, yet. I will have to work on that!

Thanks, Chris, for posting this with as much detail as you did. I only wish the pictures were still available. Wish me well!

Bill :cool

69MyWay said:
... do you have any other nick names for it?

;LOL My lips are sealed Chris. (Unless you overhear me working on it!) ;LOL

Good luck Bill! :upthumbs

I checked the jpgs attached to the first threads and I see a C2 that seems like it crashed through a wall?

sscam69 said:
I checked the jpgs attached to the first threads and I see a C2 that seems like it crashed through a wall?

That is funny....I guess during one of the upgrades or times when Rob cleaned up old links it tied back to another thread. If I remember right, Vigman posted that after he saw it in a shop out in california.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom