Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The car is packed and Europe awaits

Looks like a fun trip. I have covered most of that area on a motorcycle before when I was in the army but that was over 40 years ago. One time I was out about 40 days straight. I got wet in England so much that I pointed it towards Italy and left. It would be fun to do again with a roof or convertible top over my head.

Tom

Learning a lot !

Looks like a fun trip. I have covered most of that area on a motorcycle before when I was in the army but that was over 40 years ago. One time I was out about 40 days straight. I got wet in England so much that I pointed it towards Italy and left. It would be fun to do again with a roof or convertible top over my head.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I hope to share my experiences....the do's and do not's.

Jack

Jet lag, worried about jet lag !

One of the forum members posted about Jet Lag and how to avoid it.

I think Jet Lag will be the least of my worries......

where my car is ?
did it break in container,
will it start
will someone take me to it
where will I stay that night
will my film equipment not be broken,
will I not be broken, will my fake hips and knees
will my wife wait for me
will I survive the inter corvette forum rivalries
will I be on the side of road with a sign (need gas money)
will my tent be comfortable and keep the bears and wolfs away
will I be able to wash my clothes
will I be able to send my photos and video via internet
will I be able to , able to , able to,

So you see, jet lag is not a problem to think about, I think a few drinks, some laughter, and a warm fire with have me ready to go

So buckle up....and get ready for a ride into the unknown
with the Corvette Vagabond

Jack

Hi Jack,

I have totally missed this, but I have been following your road trips since I became a member of CAC,

I now understand that you will arrive in Norway, and that you will pass Stockholm, Sweden, when do you expect to arrive in Stockholm?

If you need help with anything during your stay in Stockholm please let me know.

We live just outside of Stockholm, in Jakobsberg, along E18, the main highway between Oslo and Stockholm.

You should also know that there are Corvettes scattered all over the Stockholm area, even in our street there are three.:)

Save the wave
//sweabe

I will be in Stockholm around the 10th of September

Hi Jack,

I have totally missed this, but I have been following your road trips since I became a member of CAC,

I now understand that you will arrive in Norway, and that you will pass Stockholm, Sweden, when do you expect to arrive in Stockholm?

If you need help with anything during your stay in Stockholm please let me know.

We live just outside of Stockholm, in Jakobsberg, along E18, the main highway between Oslo and Stockholm.

You should also know that there are Corvettes scattered all over the Stockholm area, even in our street there are three.:)

Save the wave
//sweabe

Hello sweabe,

Thanks for the offer. PM me with your address and other information so I can contact you as I head to Sweden form Tuku in Finland by ferry. I look forward to meeting as many Corvette owners as possible even though me time is short. I have to crowd 70 days of travel into 47 days because of my delay in getting to Europe as planned. Once I am in Finland and heading south , I will look to plan stops , You just don't know what will happen with a 46 year old car...or more to the point, a 65 year old man who will drive 4,000 miles in 14 days and still try to spend time with forum members.

It will be quite a challenge, but I think I will be in good hands......keep the light on and I hope we don't need a fire to keep warm...what will the weather be like from Sept 6th to 11th , my travel time in Scandinavia

Here is my projected route....no the roads , but directions I want to travel.....roads will be included once I get some local help on the best way to go...

You can see the distances I have to travel in a short period of time to make it to Cap de Agde by the 21st of September.

Jack

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...90698d118784848&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4&vpsrc=1

PM sent.

Arriving in Stockholm from, not Tuku but Turku in Finnish (Åbo in Swedish), witch ferry line are you planning to arrive with, Tallink/Silja or Viking Line?
I'm asking because my work is within walking distance from the Tallink/Silja terminal.

I'm looked closer to your map and saw that you will be arriving from Åland, meaning that you will arrive to Kappelskär north of Stockholm, in that case the above is not applicable.

You are asking about the weather in first half of September in Scandinavia, hopefully it will be better than we have had this summer, you are from Maine so you should be used to colder weather, as Scandinavia especially the northern part can be quite chilly already in September, you can even expect frost on a clear night, but on the other hand it can be lovely to travel in, lets hope for the best!
I have been living in New England, (Mancheter NH) some 20 years ago, and September there is nice as I remember it.

//sweabe

The map is just a general direction of my travel

PM sent.

Arriving in Stockholm from, not Tuku but Turku in Finnish (Åbo in Swedish), witch ferry line are you planning to arrive with, Tallink/Silja or Viking Line?
I'm asking because my work is within walking distance from the Tallink/Silja terminal.

I'm looked closer to your map and saw that you will be arriving from Åland, meaning that you will arrive to Kappelskär north of Stockholm, in that case the above is not applicable.

You are asking about the weather in first half of September in Scandinavia, hopefully it will be better than we have had this summer, you are from Maine so you should be used to colder weather, as Scandinavia especially the northern part can be quite chilly already in September, you can even expect frost on a clear night, but on the other hand it can be lovely to travel in, lets hope for the best!
I have been living in New England, (Mancheter NH) some 20 years ago, and September there is nice as I remember it.

//sweabe

Hello Sweabe,

Thanks for the information, I have sent you a PM . Yes fall in New England is wonderful....

VermontNH015.jpg

VermontNH016.jpg

VermontNH019.jpg

Oslo Norway it is

Hello to all,

It has been a hectic week , but it looks like the car will be in Oslo on the 5th of September. I should not have any problems with Norway Customs as I have all the documentation needed and Norway provides for foreign car use with US plates without duty taxes as long as you do not stay in residence for more than a year...I think 3 days should satisfy that requirement.

I can't wait to get behind the wheel again. It will be almost a month without my car...

Like many of you, my car was my stress relief , just go for a ride and things seem less pressing...

I will have 2 days in Oslo to see the sites and meet local corvette owners....hope to post some pictures soon

Jack

Good stuff. I hope you get off to a great start.

I have a roof over my head !

I arrive in Oslo on the 3rd and I just got this post on the :

Corvette Club of Norway Forum

norway_triumph wrote:

hi Jack - you can stay with my family & me for the days between your arrival & the car. I live 20 minutes from Gardermoen & 45 min drive from oslo city center. Unfortunately i can't take days of work to show you around or meet & greet at gardermoen, but i'll see if i can get you out at gardermoen (nothing promised tho) .

I'm more into old english cars than corvette's but have a full workshop at my place so sorting out the car shouldn't be too much of a problem. For interesting things in Oslo you could borrow one of my old english cars

My reply

Hello, life is good now that I know I will have a roof over my head....funny you should have English cars...my roommates when I was younger in NYC had English sports cars. A MG B 1968 Gold and a 1961 3000 Austin Heally....silver.. and in high school, my friend had a 59 TR .

That would be great....to see Oslo in an English car owned by a Norwegian with a Corvette....what a great way to start a trip.

Get ready , the ride is almost starting

Jack

Oslo street life and airport pickup

Here are some pictures of my friend Henning Kjensli and his cars. Road around Oslo in a 68 and how would you like to be picked up at the airport in a 57 Caddy...one of only 1800 ever made...sold new in 57 at over $12,000 now is worth a lot....

Some quick shots of Olso street life

Enjoy

Jack

HammerMan.jpg

Oslopeople.jpg

StreetLifeOslo.jpg

1957ElderodoHennigs042.jpg

1957ElderodoHennigs041.jpg

1957ElderodoHennigs033.jpg

1957ElderodoHennigs035.jpg

1957ElderodoHennigs036.jpg

I love that Caddy.

On the Train to Bergen

Hello to all,

I am on the train to Bergen, the sun is still following me.....hope it will last all the way to Bergen. On my 48 state trip (90 days 20,000 miles) I only had one day of rain. Let hope it will be the same in Norway......it has been sunny since the day I have arrive

Henning and Jan-Ivar have been great and I want to thanks them very much....They made a bad situation of no car....almost fun.....

I have been to two car shows and have already met some some great guys , and have been able to put a face with a screen name...Gudmund Bolsgard (Fuelie 65) showed up with his 67 427 .

Jack

Gudmund.jpg

Gudmund427.jpg

Jack, I'm lovin' this already!

You are certainly off to a great start!

Travel Plans and Schedule

As you all know I am way behind schedule, I have had to make some very difficult decisions. I can not come to Europe without coming to Finland and Sweden.

Here is how I propose to do it....

I do not have time to drive to Finland this month. Here is a map of my route though Germany and returning from France. I have 35 days to travel from the south of France to Oslo where I will return to the US.

Schedule: The route on the map is just a general direction....it does not follow the roads that I may take to visit individuals and it is subject to change as I drive

I have 7 days to travel the 1,400 miles. Looking at my map you see that I will hit most of the spots in Germany the way south and Germany again on my way north to Oslo

Sassnitz Germany September 14
Berlin September 14
Nuremberg ?
Munich September ?
Stuttgart ?
Zurich ?
Italy ?
Monaco 19
Cap de Agde France September 21

September 21 to October 19 I will be traveling through France, Netherlands , Belgium and Germany and Denmark

Copenhagen Oct 19
Stockholm Oct 20
Helsinki Oct 22
Tempere / Jyvaskyla Oct 23
Oulu Oct 24
Sundsvall Sweden Oct 26
Oslo Norway Oct 27

Plane to US Oct 29

Here is a map of my travel from Sassnitz Germany to France and to Germany and Scandinavia from the south of France

https://maps.google.no/maps/ms?msa=0...=m&z=4&vpsrc=1

I hope you understand my change of plans....the car coming in on the 12th of September has made my trip a very difficult one to execute.

Please pray to the gods that the weather will hold up and I will not need spikes and chains for my corvette.

Keep the light on and the fires warm......

Last edited:
Had to leave Oslo

Since my car is not due into Olso till the 12th, I thought I would visit members of the Corvette Club of Norway. I took a train from Olso to Bergen, a city on the west coast of Norway. It is the land of fjords.

Bergen is about 350 miles away and you have to go over many mountains to get there. I thought you would like to see the terrain on the way...

I wonder if I should have left on my snow tires.....

TrainBergenKetil027.jpg

TrainBergenKetil024.jpg

TrainBergenKetil023.jpg

TrainBergenKetil022.jpg

TrainBergenKetil019.jpg

TrainBergenKetil016.jpg

TrainBergenKetil012.jpg

TrainBergenKetil010.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom