Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The car is packed and Europe awaits

The Dutch Corvette Collection

There is a man named Andre Boer. He lives in Wezep , Netherlands. Some people say he has one of the most extensive collections of Corvettes in the world.

He is also one of the nicest. My car's rear has been acting up since Paris, maybe before. We checked it in Paris, in Amsterdam, in Breda, and Jack Jansen's repair facility, his corvette's later, we noticed problems with u-joint on the haft-shaft. Jack did not have any , but said he would call Andre Boer, a friend and Andre also fixes corvettes.

I set off for Andre's place and what I found , I would like to share.

Andre welcomed me, from under a car he was working on. Came over and told me that I had heard of my trip and that I was having a problem with my car.

He asked his son Johan to look at my car when he could, Martyn, his other son was also working on cars. A third son, Michel was studying finance.

He asked if I had time to look a car or two while work was being done on my car. I said "sure"

What I found was a man with a passion for Corvettes. A passion that has lead to having almost 100 great cars and 100 spare cars to keep the first 100 happy.

He was kind enough to show me every car and how he works on them for his collection and also as place where late model Corvettes and Mercedes can be bought .

Later in the day my car was fixed, new rear outer half shaft joint, peace of mind and to top it all, a home cooked meal.

I had dinner with Andre, wife Hinnie, three sons, daughter inlaw and two grandchildren. I felt very at home.

Here are pictures. I will post 12 more in next post. The link to his collections is

Museum

GermanForumGoup002.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection019.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection026.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection028.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection029.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection031.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection025.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection089.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection090.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection076.jpg

AndreBoarCorvetteCollection054.jpg

GermanForumGoup013.jpg

Great pictures Jack! Great stories too. That is quite a collection of cars.

wow! What a collection.

I have really enjoyed your trip, Jack.

Your experience will be forever etched in your memory.

This collection of Vettes is fabulous.

Thanks for the pictures!

:w

Next leg

Jack What is the next leg of the journey? You have done Germany and France. Is it Austria and Italy?

Hi,

Actually, he vistet me, a fellow Corvette friend.

Hopefully, this gives you all a better knowledge of where he might be, at the moment he is looking for a hotel room. (Best Western)

Thanks
Sweabe

More cars in Europe

Joreg and Jens. Good buddies and Joreg hosted me for a few nights . My car was happy and Joreg has a 66 slightly modified, and a 2003 for family drives.

He introduced me to a friend of his , Jens. Jens said he had a few cars and if I wanted , I could look at them. He drives most of them when he can. Keeps them all in a garage so he can just jump in the car of the day.

Lots of American Muscle Cars in Europe !

JensCollection02712.jpg

JensCollection02713.jpg

JensCollection02717.jpg

JensCollection02723.jpg

JensCollection0273.jpg

JensCollection0276.jpg

JensCollection0278.jpg

JensCollection0272.jpg

Jens

JensCollection02716.jpg

Joreg's 66 My 66

HamburgJoreg066.jpg

HamburgJoreg065.jpg

HamburgJoreg063.jpg

Wow, Jack. It looks like Jen can drive a different car for 50 or 60 days!!!

That's a pretty cool collection as well. It hard to believe that there are that many old American made cars in Europe. I'm getting quite an education. Thanks Jack.

There would be many many more American cars in Europe if they did not hammer them with the following taxes: Cars in Europe are taxed based on their engine size - so a 6.2 litre V8 is basically as big as it gets in Europe. So in Italy and France for example you pay an annual registration tax of $7,800-$10,400 for a Corvette; then you pay $9-$10/gallon of gas; and then you pay insurance. In other countries like Denmark when GM imports a Corvette from the US you pay the following taxes: Lets say the landed cost in Denmark is $60,000 - the buyer has to pay a 10% import duty (all non-EU vehicles imported into the EU pay a 10% import duty inc US, Canadian and Japanese cars) - so now your price is $66,000 - then there is a 180% car tax (yes you read that correctly) so the price is now $184,400 and then there is the 25% VAT (Sales Tax to you in the USA) for a retail price of $231,000. Of course after that there is gasoline, registration fees and insurance every year.

Last year in Europe Cadillac sold less than 1,000 cars. The Western European car market is as big as the US market for cars. By the way, when Europeans export cars to the US the import duty is 1.5% and the sales tax is anywhere from 5-9%. In Europe it is a 10% import duty and then VAT of 15-25% depending on the country. And of course Denmark has its famous car tax of 180% in the middle. That is correct - the Danes do not want to sell cars in Denmark.

WOW! I had no idea! Thanks for the info.

Travels with the Corvette Vagabond

I am in Helsinki this morning. Many members of the FinnShark forum have set out a great welcome mat. Stories later. I also have a few more private car collections to share with you.

I have been fortunate to have met some very interesting corvette owners in my European travels. Not only do they love corvettes, they also have other interests that I found fascinating. The partners of these owners also had careers or hobbies that I would like to share with you.

Mark and Garbriela and dog Felix, are one such couple. He owns a nice 66 coupe and a few other European cars. He in involved in the advertising business and art photography , he has published two books on European Car rallys with photographs of the event.

His wife Garbriela is a student and teacher of Yoga. She works with sound vibrations using gongs and bells as a yoga method of relaxation.

Pictures of Mark, Grbriela and me, hard at work , and some nice cars.

66 Corvette, 56 Continental Coupe
65 SE 220 c
2002 AMG Merceedes Coupe

markkesslerpics-5720.jpg

HamburgJoreg003.jpg

HamburgJoreg005.jpg

HamburgJoreg008.jpg

HamburgJoreg016.jpg

HamburgJoreg034.jpg

HamburgJoreg039.jpg

HamburgJoreg042.jpg

HamburgJoreg020.jpg

HamburgJoreg014.jpg

HamburgJoreg045.jpg

HamburgJoreg044.jpg

Travels with the Corvette Vagabond the other half

Corvette Owners also have very interesting partners

Silke Knaap of Klein -Moor area of Hamburg, Germany. Silke has one of world's the most extensive collections of Lili - Barbi dolls from the 50's to present.

She has written books on the subject and attends and lectures at seminars all over the world. Her husband Joeg was my host in the Hamburg area and I was offered a place to stay.

You guessed it . My room was the Lili - Barbie room. I was surrounded by over 1000 dolls, clothes , and operating table for repair.

Enjoy

BarbieLili1.jpg

BarbieLili44.jpg

BarbieLili42.jpg

BarbieLili28.jpg

BarbieLili30.jpg

BarbieLili31.jpg

BarbieLili32.jpg

BarbieLili33.jpg

BarbieLili36.jpg

BarbieLili50.jpg

BarbieLili2.jpg

BarbieDollslilidollsHamberg001.jpg

From Barbie to Big Game Hunting

While in France I met Regina and Michel at a Corvette of Club of France ralley. They live near Paris and invited me over.

Rigina is from Texas and Michele is a retired French business man.

He loves to hunt big game and has been all over the world. He is a true hunter, that goes into the bush, camps out and is out in front on the hunt.

Some pictures

MicheleRaginaParis006.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis007.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis008.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis009.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis012.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis013.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis015.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis016.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis018.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis019.jpg

MicheleRaginaParis021.jpg

Finland a wonderful place

I am in Jyvaskyla, Finland , central Finland lakes area. Here are some photos. More later. Grooyjay, (Jani and Mika , Tapio , Riku ) have paved the way for me. I have had 3 Sauna in 2 days. The last one a "Smoke Suana" very traditional with the sauna heated by wood and filled with smoke . Smoke is cleared and in you go. To say that I am getting relaxed would be an understatement.

YorcciCamera120.jpg

YorcciCamera108.jpg

FinlandSmokeSuana063.jpg

FinlandSmokeSuana053.jpg

FinlandSmokeSuana065.jpg

FinlandSmokeSuana001.jpg

HelsinkiGroovayFriday013.jpg

HelsinkiGroovayFriday007.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jack,

How do you plan to ship the car, on a Container, or Roll-On rolloff.

//Sweabe

Picture taken 23/10/2012 when Jack was leaving Oulu and heading to Turku. 420 miles trip.

oulu_10.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom