Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: The Dodge Viper is Dead?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Interesting read from Jalopnik.com:

The Dodge Viper Is Dead: In Lieu Of Flowers, Please Send R&D Funds

Who would win in a fight between a 3-headed hell hound and a snake? In a case important to a great number of high-horsepower-lovin' enthusiasts, it appears it's going to be Satan's canine.

In all the hoopla over the past few weeks about Dodge's new entry to the Muscle Car Wars, the media stories popping up hinting Chrysler may be thinking about discontinuing the Dodge Viper have gone relatively ignored by the majority of the product press. Unfortunately for those with a love of the serpentine-named supercar, we've learned through several of our sources that the decision to kill off the next generation of the Dodge Viper has already been made.

The next generation Viper roadster, referred to internally as ZC-D27 -- and ZC-D29 in the case of the coupe -- are no longer part of Chrysler LLC's future plans. They've been shuttled to the side -- we're assuming as part of "Project Genesis," the new game plan "intended to align the needs and wants of the customer with its [Chrysler's] product portfolio and the dealer network." Or perhaps it was part of "Project Alpha" the game plan prior to "Genesis" and before Cerberus really got a good look at the books. All we know is the decision was made during the period Cerberus has been running the show in Auburn Hills.

In other words: ****.

Originally, the new version of Dodge's halo car was set to start rolling down the assembly line in January of 2009 alongside two Chrysler badged platform mates. These two new Chrysler branded performance vehicles were to be modeled after the Firepower concept car. The first one, a roadster, was given the internal name ZC-C27, and a coupe version was given the internal name ZC-C29. However we know the decision to kill the Chrysler-brand versions was made sometime in the middle of last year.

This certainly would've hurt the business case for the entire "ZC" program. The Viper is hand built at the Connor Avenue Assembly Plant. A plant that, without the Firepower, would do nothing but build Vipers and the big V10 engines that go in them. Its a plant that we're fairly certain Chrysler's new Six Sigma-loving management would probably like to close.

The general unrest and financial struggles of Chrysler played a huge role as well. When this embattled company chooses how to spend their R&D money, they have to choose very carefully. Sadly there are many other vehicles in the Chrysler lineup that need attention before they can start to think about a low volume, hardcore sports car again -- halo status be damned.

What now?

Chrysler recently launched the freshened, more powerful, fourth generation Viper for the 2008 model year. Original plans had this car being built for only two model years. It was meant to be a stop-gap model until the next generation "ZC" car could be brought online. Now that an all new Viper won't happen, sources tell us that the fourth generation Viper will instead be built until around the 2011 model year. We'd also venture a guess that so long as the fourth gen is being built, a few of the track prepped ACR models will continue to trickle out of the factory.

What happens after 2011? That's a question we don't yet have an answer for.

It's hard to imagine Chrysler leaving the halo car market for good -- but we're thinking the future will call for a more affordable halo. Not just more affordable for the buyer but more affordable for Chrysler build. We know they'll want something that can still put up a fight with the Corvette -- at least the base model -- but at the same time, be much closer to the Corvette's base MSRP.

In the next one or two years, we can only a hope a concept car pops up on the auto show circuit that can give some hope for an all new, SRT hot rod. For now though, we mourn the loss of a legend.

This is disappointing news.

The Viper was a brutal force in the sports car world that will be missed. I respect the vision behind it---to be pure low-tech, simple, brute force. Because it stood for something, most shots fired at it by snooty critics bounced off with no effect. I will never forget when someone on here once said, as he got out of his C5 ZO6 and into a friend's Viper, that it was like "leaving Barbie's car and hopping into Batman's"......as a Corvette fan, that stung!

And even though the Corvette was the clear winner, the two had a prosperous rivalry.

Chrysler is in trouble, because the Challenger turned out to be a dud. It weighs over 4,150 pounds, and the "big dog" SRT8 version with 425 horsepower costs $40,000 before dealer markups, and has the same exact 0-60 time as the $25,000 Mustang GT. I don't see many people opting for the Challenger besides Dodge faithful, which spells disaster.

The Viper was the primary competition to the Corvette. Without the Dodge boys to keep Team Corvette on their toes, management pushing development onto the back burner, and the Feds ratcheting up the average fuel economy minimums, this could mean a lapse into another dark era for Corvette.

This is disappointing news.

The Viper was a brutal force in the sports car world that will be missed. I respect the vision behind it---to be pure low-tech, simple, brute force. Because it stood for something, most shots fired at it by snooty critics bounced off with no effect. I will never forget when someone on here once said, as he got out of his C5 ZO6 and into a friend's Viper, that it was like "leaving Barbie's car and hopping into Batman's"......as a Corvette fan, that stung!

And even though the Corvette was the clear winner, the two had a prosperous rivalry.

Chrysler is in trouble, because the Challenger turned out to be a dud. It weighs over 4,150 pounds, and the "big dog" SRT8 version with 425 horsepower costs $40,000 before dealer markups, and has the same exact 0-60 time as the $25,000 Mustang GT. I don't see many people opting for the Challenger besides Dodge faithful, which spells disaster.

You know it's kinda funny that the person comparring the Viper to a Batmobile in an attempt to take a stab at the Corevette, because I was once told that at least one of the Batmobiles was a modified C3 Corevette! ;LOL

[

GM is in similar straights with the new Camaro and it isn't even out yet.

Has been late out by several years and is now being introduced while the country may be in a recession.

Not a good way to build high sales on a new vehicle.

Vito

Dead Viper

[

GM is in similar straights with the new Camaro and it isn't even out yet.

Has been late out by several years and is now being introduced while the country may be in a recession.

Not a good way to build high sales on a new vehicle.

Vito
Long live the Corvette!

If/when the Viper dies, will the Mustang & Corvette soon follow? They are the direct competition with each other.
Personally, I don't want to see the Viper go away as it makes for a weaker "top tier" performance sector. What's next? The V-6 powered cars?:W

Am I the only one not opposed to a V6 Corvette?
I think a V8 should still be an available option, but putting in a V6 could do the following:
1) improve the overall fuel economy for GM cars
2) making it a low performance version could provide a lower price tag. That could boost sales.
3) still be fun to drive. It is pretty common to have 250+ hp V6's. That is more than the V8's of the mid 70 - early 80.
4) keep the corvette alive. Boosting sales and helping meet CAFE could mean that GM does not drop the Corvette altogether.

Personally I'd love to see 4 engine choices: V6, LS3, LS7, LS9.
Along with 4 base costs: $30k, $45k, $65k, $100k

Can GM afford to allow us to choose between 4 or 5 types of engines for one car? I assume there is a reason they stopped doing that a few decades ago, perhaps it isn't cost effective to offer so many engine options. ;shrug

If you could get a V6 Corvette chances are the market would be saturated and in my mind, it would really reduce the "authenticity" of the product. They should leave those kinds of options for their other sports cars like the upcoming Camaro which to me is not as unique as the Vette. I could be wrong though... more Vettes on the road could be good, im just not used to seeing them.

I don't think I'm ready to accept a V-6 Corvette. Something just seems wrong with that picture. It reminds me of the 6 cyl. Cudas from back in the day. Part of the aura of owning & driving a Corvette is the muscle under the hood and the growl of the exhaust.

Pulling up to a stop light along side a whispering V-6 powered Corvette just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. You can supercharge it, turbocharge or whatever, But I hope we aren't heading into a generation of Corvettes that sound like a whining rice grinder with a $25 muffler exhaust tip.

I'd rather GM just discontinue the vette all together than to poison its heritage. Call it closed minded if you want to, but it is what it is - Corvette is not an economy car and was never meant to be.

I think a lot of you make good points. IF the Viper ceases production, that's going to be bad for the Corvette. It's my belief that the Viper is the reason we have the new ZR-1. The ZR-1 was bred from the C5R-C6R racing team. And that team was pushed to evolve due to the Viper's domination in ALMS racing. And as I've stated before, Viper owned everyone in the ALMS league, including the vettes. It wasn't until Viper left that the C5R racing became the top dog.

Now, if you want to talk about a possible change for the Corvette in terms of going to a 6 cylinder, there's already a lengthy thread about that here.
However, I would only agree to a 6-banger (and it doesn't have to be a "V") Corvette is that it's performance has to be at least equal to the previous year's base model.

The best way to keep an eye on the Viper is to simply check out whatever forums they have equivalent to the CAC.

And as I've stated before, Viper owned everyone in the ALMS league, including the vettes. It wasn't until Viper left that the C5R racing became the top dog.

That may be partly true. Viper was still competing in the ALMS while the C5R's were waxing their tails in GT1. They may not have had factory backing however. That I do not know for sure. But I've attended quiet a number of ALMS races where the Viper couldn't run with the vettes, and usually had some mechanical failure or off track excurrsions. The Corvette is such a dominant force that all these different manufactures are frustrated in their efforts to try to compete that they eventually drop out of the competion. But that is all part of racing - excellent handling cars, excellent drivers, and reliabilty breeds champions. We're just fortunate that we're the best.:cool

a corvette with a 6 banger would be in the same class as the gone by chrysler prowler, dud!!!!! i think if they would of put a v-8 in the prowler that would of given the corvette some more competition for the public to choose from...ed

Who says GM is losing money?

Lets hope so.With GM loosing money by the truck load -who knows ???:eek:hnoes
Having just announced record quarterly earnings, I don't think GM is losing money. You lose money when you focus on technologies that aren't yet mature e nough to work, like the Volt! The Vette fills a market need and does it well. All of the technologies are tried and true (if not ancient) and ALL of them are reasonably reliable.
GM will lose money when it stops making Corvette and makes only Volts!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom