Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Joy Of Big Block Power

I had played with my '82 for many years; finally ending up with a set of 3.55's, a roller cam, Dart heads, and a Renegade intake. It'll run mid 90's in a quarter mile but after I bought my 454" powered '71 in 2009 and worked it over it runs 105+ mph quarter miles with it's A/C on! What a difference another 100 cubic inches make but it handles like a Greyhound bus. With the additional 250 pounds in the front it plows into corners but the ride is as smooth as a much heavier passenger car. And with it's lower seats and narrower transmission tunnel it has a lot more interior room. I modified it's L-88 style hood last summer for ram air and I immediately gained an additional 3-1/2 mpg; going from 10-1/2 to 14 mpg in my everyday 45-55 mph driving. I'm hoping to go to the coast sometime this summer and I think it'll get 16 mpg at a higher cruising speed.

Do any of you have big block power?

I wish!!

My friend, 67HEAVEN, is an original owner of his 1967 BB coupe. I've driven it since he restored it with a 502 BB and 5 speed and WOW isn't a big enough word.
:w

Mac

My 71 has a modified 460-in BBC, with cast iron heads and an 850 Holley, to the tune of about 530-hp. With that engine, a six-speed and a 3.08 axle, the best mileage I've ever seen was just a hair under 17-mpg at speeds of 60-65 mph.

Right now the car sits in the shop with some broken lifters. The motor is pretty tired having been built in the mid-90s and been beat like a rented mule.

It's needs to come out, have the short block freshened with new bearings and new pistons. Then I'm goning to install a more modern roller cam profile and modern aluminum heads.

My 71 has a modified 460-in BBC, with cast iron heads and an 850 Holley, to the tune of about 530-hp. With that engine, a six-speed and a 3.08 axle, the best mileage I've ever seen was just a hair under 17-mpg at speeds of 60-65 mph.

Right now the car sits in the shop with some broken lifters. The motor is pretty tired having been built in the mid-90s and been beat like a rented mule.

It's needs to come out, have the short block freshened with new bearings and new pistons. Then I'm goning to install a more modern roller cam profile and modern aluminum heads.

My '82 with it's beefed 350" will run 6 second flat 0-60's but my '71 with it's beefed 454" can only manage 10 second 0-60's because of severe wheel spin. But once it hooks up it really hauls the mail; actually burning off about 25 to 30 feet of rubber when it hits 3rd gear at 60 mph. But as I said before it handles like a Greyhound bus because of the additional 250 pounds of weight in the front end. With it's 460 lb/ft of torque it is a blast to drive.

I did my best to celebrate diversity. :D 427 and a 388"-350 back when gas was cheap. Currently it is an LSx blower with over 600 RWHP. Roll racing, it has run away from an 11.1-11.2 car. Highway MPG is over 30 at 70 in 6th. What is not to like? ;)

my 74 has a ZZ502-502 backed with a 700R4 with a TCI constant pressure valve body and 5 pinion planetary gears and Beast sunshell gear and a 4:56 rear gear

The very first thing I noticed with my 454" powered '71 was the awesome pulling power in high gear. It accelerates in 4th gear like a small block accelerates in 3rd gear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom