Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Love of the Corvette vs. The Pain In the Wallet at Fuel Up

How has the rising cost of gas affected your driving habits with your Corvette?

• I'm in a complete state of shock over the price of gas, so I've stopped driving altogether.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just got back from a round trip cruise from So Cal to Sacramento over to San Fran then down the coast road and back home. Vette averaged 28mpg! My Hemi Magnum can only see 16 on a good day. Where is this "multi-displacement" they spoke of? Vette now does 3 days to work, Dodge does the other 2. Weekends are a toss up, depend where we go and what we buy!.
By the way, Every Chevron dealer along the way averaged $3.29 for 92 octane EXCEPT the @#$%^&* in Big Sur. He was $4.39 OUCH. Only bought enough to be safe!
Have fun y'all
jeff

Ripp 76 said:
Would anyone happen to have an extra 700R4 sitting around that I could replace my turbo 350 3-speed automatic with? That overdrive sure would be nice for those highway cruises. As far as usage... I've actually been driving the 76 a lot more then I have all summer. My truck is currently getting 10mpg and the Vette still gets about 15mpg. I just hate running it at high rpm's for long periods of time.

Click on my avatar pics I'm Screwed!! I traded in a Honda Insight 2 years ago to get the Vette. Lifetime 58 mpg

TWOBUELLS said:
[Did the K&N filter go on your Vette ?QUOTE=Sharondippity]It's a 98 Sport 4WD.

I put a k&n air filter on it and it helped alot
[/QUOTE]

Twin K & N's, Granatelli MAS & a device inserted in the throttle body thats supposed to remove air turbulence put the C5 at 29.9 MPG on the highway with the cruise control set at 75 on our way down to Daytona from Boston. Not to mention lots more HP & torque on the low end of the dial. I could probably toast a new set of skins with a few WOT burn outs. I put down a 200+ foot = sign and let off (that was enough) on the old skins before I swaped them out. Normally I don't do that as a rule,but I had to beat the ====== put down by the neigbor kids front wheel drive rice sled. Too costly to burn up the new tires, I showed American muscle car domination with the old tires.

At 75 mph on cruise control the tac read just under 2000 RPM going through the flats of N & S Carolina.

jnj said:
By the way, Every Chevron dealer along the way averaged $3.29 for 92 octane EXCEPT the @#$%^&* in Big Sur. He was $4.39 OUCH. Only bought enough to be safe!

Yep, I ran into that same guy. Next time I travel the coast you can bet I'll make it all the way to Pebble Beach. Thre aren't too many places to get fuel on that Big Sur stretch. On a lighter note, the guy who runs the joint asked if he could clean my windshield. When I told him "No Thanks" he said "What is it with you Vette guys? None of you ever let me touch your cars" I just chuckled and thought to myself, "That's a Privilege reserved for the not so low life. :r

SANOLS1 said:
"That's a Privilege reserved for the not so low life. :r
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL junk!!

SANOLS1 said:
Yep, I ran into that same guy. Next time I travel the coast you can bet I'll make it all the way to Pebble Beach. Thre aren't too many places to get fuel on that Big Sur stretch. On a lighter note, the guy who runs the joint asked if he could clean my windshield. When I told him "No Thanks" he said "What is it with you Vette guys? None of you ever let me touch your cars" I just chuckled and thought to myself, "That's a Privilege reserved for the not so low life. :r[Talk about your throwbacks. This neanderthal is stuck in the 60's. Inside the shack are posters of Hendrix & Joplin (Janis, not Scott) ]

Tripleblack51 said:
I've not changed my driving habits.

My vettes are week end toys and a great source of enjoyment/relaxation for me.
I will drive and enjoy them come hell or high water.
I'll cut back on something else before I cut back on driving my vettes.

Pedro

My line of thinking. My vettes are my weekend hobby and if I have-to I'll cut back on the beer purchases.

My little Alero gets about 34 MPG. I just changed the plugs so i hope it will go up a mile or two per gallion. If it dies, it has over 200,000 on the clock, I guess it will be time to get the SAAB out of mothball and start driving it again.

H.D.:w

I drive about the same, probably will not change. I am not rich, but I feel I waited long enough to get my second vette, ain't getting any younger, so I rely on "if you have to ask(...)" to justify my driving. I looked at it like this, hit the double nickel this year, completed my MBA degree, (not bad since I started with a GED), so I bought myself a Z06 for my graduation/birthday.

Usually drive less because of the weather (rain in Florida) and not the price of gasoline

As a result of the high prices I added a new fuel guage.

NewFuelGauge.jpg

No change in habits here, yet!

-Bill.;)

My wife's SUV gets about 15mpg tops. My vette is a daily driver and my current tank is averaging 23.5mpg.

Well I suppose(...)

I suppose I will be able to check on my mileage on October 19th I will be driving down from Jacksonville to Deerfield Beach, Florida for a class and coming back on the October, 20. Just normally driving around Jacksonville in a lot of stop and go traffic makes it hard to obtain a reliable rate. Of course getting it on does not help either with the mileage.

No change here

My 2004 coupe gets 25 mpg around town, and 31 mpg if I keep it around 65-70 mph on the highway. My wife's Eldo gets about the same. My 99 300M only gets 20 mpg around town and about 26-27 mpg on the highway. I keep the Vette for sunny days [no rain] and use the 300M most days for work about a 23 mile round trip. I have no compunction about taking the Vette anywhere, and the decision is usually driven by whether I will be able to find parking that won't get a door dinged, or dust, dirt or bird dropping on it. I thought I would only do about 5K a year on it and I did 7K. Too much fun to worry about the price of gas.

Gas here is about the same price as a two liter bottle of Coke.
Which has more value and does more work?

Don Rich said:
Gas here is about the same price as a two liter bottle of Coke.
Which has more value and does more work?

If I do some shopping around, I can find a two liter bottle of Diet Pepsi for 99 cents. I think the days of 99 cent gallons of gas are probably gone.

:w
-Patrick

Patrick said:
I thought this would make an interesting subject for discussion. Rather than another "I can't believe the price of gas" thread in which everyone talks about how we're being gouged by oil companies, I thought it would be interesting to hear if and how folks are changing their driving habits right now.

:w
-Patrick

Good idea for a poll and thread Pat. :upthumbs
I voted: My Corvette gets better MPG than my truck/SUV, so it's getting driven more often now.

vett boy said:
Canadian gas in Maine is down to $2.57 reg.to bad Canadians cant buy it for that.
Gas Here Down to $2.63:upthumbs junk!!

And on a brighter note for all those who are pushing diesel as the answer...around here this week I saw premium at $2.81 and diesel going at $3.21. Welcome to fuel economy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom