Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Motorhead Lounge is Started!

That's going to be a nice shop. I remember when I could see the floor in mine. :L I'm going to clean up my shop when I get home from Daytona.

Tom

OK, I know it's been a little while, but I'm a CPA and I gotta spend a lotta time in my office right now -- especially so I can pay for this addition!!

The tie beams (both levels) have been poured; the rake beams (tie beams on an angle - in this case on the gable end) are done so block work is pretty much done. I believe Tuesday some lumber should show up.

Here's a shot after the first tie beam was poured:
MHL021907.jpg

And here's a shot of yours truly placing the truss anchors in the fresh concrete of the second tie beam. Notice there's no butt-crack.;LOL (Oh yeah, I'm the one on the block!)

MHL022307.jpg

Things are moving right along!

-Mac

I know, it's been another long time. Sorry, I gotta work a whole bunch for another few weeks.

The trusses are up, framing is almost complete as is the roof. Here's a teaser for ya - I'll try to find some time to post more pictures.

Welcome to the (somewhat incomplete) Motorhead Lounge!

MHL-welcome.jpg

Last edited:
Bill, Sandy's doing a FABULOUS job documenting the project! I had no idea of the total scope of the project - that's a whole lot more than "a garage" - will be really incredible when it's done! :)

Bill, Sandy's doing a FABULOUS job documenting the project! I had no idea of the total scope of the project - that's a whole lot more than "a garage" - will be really incredible when it's done! :)

Thanks, John! I will let her know. She'll be very pleased.

Since this is a "garage" forum I figured I'd keep most of my posts to that theme (and of course, "the garage is mine" :chuckle ).

It's really coming along Bill. Keep the faith. Tax season is almost over then you can get back out there and pitch in.

tom

Well, I'm finally able to come up for air, so it's update time!

The roof is dried in, but not before our kitchen took the brunt of the 2" of rain we had the day after it was "dried in". It's fixed now - the owner of the roofing company (a Corvette pal as well) spent over 2 hours on the roof fixing it in the rain - he hadn't been on a roof in 2 years so I know this job must be important!

The next phase of plumbing has been installed (and unfortunately one of the workers drilled holes through truss uprights - a BIG no-no; we're waiting for the truss company engineer to determine the extent of the damage and what repairs are needed (and the plumbing company knows they will foot the bill).

The electrician and HVAC are set to start next week. We hope to get the framers back to frame the new fireplace and chimney so the roofers can start tearing off the old and installing a whole new roof.

In the meantime, this little gem was installed (This is what I was waiting for - and took half a day off to watch!):

MHL040507A.jpg

What's that, you say?

First ya dig a 9 foot deep hole. (They didn't hit water until 8 feet - that's the dry season here. In the summer the water table is usually 4-5 feet higher so almost anyone who wants a basement in Florida will get an indoor swimming pool! ;LOL )

MHL040507B.jpg

Then that strange looking thing from my earlier post gets chucked in the hole...

MHL040507C.jpg

...levelled off, backfilled and held in place until power arrives.

MHL040507D.jpg

By the way, that strange gray thing is one of these:

MHL040507E.jpg

Concrete is scheduled to be poured next week to fill in the hole. Then after a few days' curing the braces are removed and the pump controls are mounted on the wall behind (where the 2x12 braces are).

Oh yeah, the red arms get attached around then as well...

Now that's a SERIOUS lift! :)

...and the quoted price (with installation) didn't make me do this :eek:hnoes when compared to a quality installed above-ground 2-post lift.

Now there will be nuthin' to whack the doors (or hands) on - and they just look so :cool !

That monster must be fairly heavy by the look of the bow in those supports!

-Mac

Actually, Mac, the unit is heavy - but not that heavy. Those supports have been used before for other installations.

On Friday the rest of the concrete was poured (note the supervisor waiting for the chance to inspect the progress):

MHL042707A.jpg

...and the finished pour (after said supervisory approval, of course) :D

MHL042707B.jpg

Of course, no concrete is complete without the owner's initials:

MHL042707C.jpg

Can't figger that out? Sebring Bill & ACAR Sandie! What else? :beer

I see there's a tie-down on every stud of the wall behind the lift. I've seen and used tie-downs like that before but not used like that. Mainly, I've seen them for renovations... and holding trusses in place. What's the purpose in new construction like this?

-Mac

Does it have to do with hurricanes?

Does it have to do with hurricanes?
That's what I was thinking too. We use those for connecting trusses to the top plate to prevent them from lifting in higher winds... although we don't get hurricanes here... but I've never seen them used on the bottom before.... except when someone was renovating and didn't want to pull the foot plate.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom