Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Motorhead Lounge is Started!

Bingo!

After Hurricane Andrew in 1992 the building codes became much more stringent. Now FL (after the Miami-Dade lead) codes are among the toughest in the country.

The addition is being built to withstand 130 mph winds. You're right about lift, but don't forget about shear. There are 6 of these Simpson HTT22 tension ties spread between the two main load-bearing frame walls; the bolt is drilled 10" down, epoxied in place and 32 16p nails attach the tie to the 2x6 vertical.

MHLHTT22.jpg

In addition, there are 10" "Titen" (big azz) bolts screwed into the slab every 24" to hold the rest of the wall down.

Every crew that's worked here has commented that they know where the hurricane party will be - that garage that ain't going anywhere!

Here's another HTT22 tie with one of those "Titen" bolts nearby. You can also see another "Titen" bolt going up the vertical 2x6 attaching to the block wall. Those bolts are spaced approximately every 24" on every 2x6 that attaches to concrete.

MHLHTT22A.jpg

Hay can I break in the garage with my new project? I bought the 55 I called you about, just too much right with it. All crome either recromed of in excellent shape, body is down to glass (thats the hard part) Engine was rebuilt not sure if it is right yet, frame done, its a 3 speed so know anyone with a correct PG? Car was bought in 69 and guy just never got around to getting it all done. White car with red interior. New top in box, top frame in exc condition. All window stuff there and unglazed.

Tyler

The 3 speed was an option, though I think it was later in production. Gotta see the #s on it.

If the engine has a block provision for an oil filter it's wrong. 55s didn't have an internal filter.

The 3 speed was an option, though I think it was later in production. Gotta see the #s on it.

If the engine has a block provision for an oil filter it's wrong. 55s didn't have an internal filter.

No provision for a filter, you doing anything this weekend?

Tyler

OK, Lessee if I can start playing catch-up with what's been going on.

Some of this may not be directly related to the garage but still is part of the overall addition. Most of the "big" stuff is done; now comes the nickel & dime parts.

We now have a fireplace! (Don't worry - it's framed in & waiting for drywall now.)

MHL051207A.jpg

and a chimney (which got the top pieces installed this week - haven't downloaded the camera yet).

MHL051207B.jpg

and some colored stucco (the lower 1/3rd will be darker with a white "chair rail" around the house between them).

MHL051207C.jpg

Somewhere near the bottom center you might be able to pick out the new house air handler (hint - it's hanging just past the 4th truss in).

MHL051207D.jpg

Look! The old garage sprouted a bay window!

MHL051207E.jpg

During this time I managed to add hurricane ties to nearly all the existing old trusses. I was pleased when I told the architect I used 2.75" tapcon screws in the concrete and he replied "that was overkill." :D

MHL051207F.jpg

I'll get some more pics up soon. We'll be moving out of our bedroom in about 2 weeks when the new windows are installed. Right now the old garage and 2nd bedroom have also been emptied out and are being worked on; I'm having lotsa fun trying to figger out where to put the contents of said rooms! :W

Overkill is a relative term. I over-engineer everything I build but I've never had anything fall down yet...

-Mac

Overkill is a relative term. I over-engineer everything I build but I've never had anything fall down yet...

-Mac

You're right, Mac. I got a kick outta "overkill" since he and I had a talk about how I thought he overbuilt the garage - he said he built it as if it were going to be his own (and I believe vicariously it will be!).

Actually, I've given him the singular distinction of having his 04 coupe as the first "passenger" on my lift. He then replied "so it'll be the first car to fall off the lift!" I said "better yours than mine!":rotfl

He then replied "so it'll be the first car to fall off the lift!" I said "better yours than mine!":rotfl
Can't argue with that logic. ;LOL

-Mac

Well, here are some more pics of what's up. My wife had surgery on June 12th so she's been getting my attention instead of other things (such as this...)

The 2nd bedroom got a new fixed window...

MHL051707A.jpg

...and the masons never put a hole in the inside drywall!

MHL051707B.jpg

"Pops" (the previous owner of the biz who just didn't like retirement) put very spiffy glass blocks in place of the 2nd bathroom window,

MHL051707C.jpg

MHL051707D.jpg

then helped put up a privacy wall for my wife's garden area. The dark area at the bottom center is a hole - we spanned over the septic tank with a precast piece. It was the best way to keep the wall where we wanted it and keep the county happy. They also blocked over the side garage door.

MHL051707E.jpg

MHL051707F.jpg

There's more to come - gotta get the wife feeling better...

Thanks, Bill - best wishes to Sandi for a speedy recovery! :)

I saw your car come around the corner at the Hotel Baker just before the banquet and Noland's "roast", but didn't see you inside later - now I know why.

:beer

Thanks, John. I really wanted to go, especially to be a part of Noland's roast, but my wife's more important than that. (Noland understood - he called to see how she was after he got home!) Tyler was gracious enough to offer to take the car up so it could attend the SACC Convention and be in the Special Collection. (Nice friends, I got!) :upthumbs

Sandie's got to be feeling better - she's getting feisty again; acting like a supervisor for the continuing construction. :SLAP

Monday the lift is supposed to be finished. Hopefully I'll have all the rough trade and framing inspections done next week, then it's on to insulation and drywall!

The project is coming right along. It looks real nice. I didn't make it to the convention either. There were just too many things happening on the same weekend.

Here's wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

Tom

It's been a while, Bill. I hope everything's okay?

-Mac

Hiya Mac (and others)

Yup, things are mostly doing fine - it's just that we've had to "consolidate" nearly everything into one room (including my lovely wife, myself and four cats) so it's a little hard to find somewhere to type right now. Add to that my old laptop's hard drive had a fatal digital heart attack and I'm still trying to get things to work properly.

Lotsa stuff has been going on; much of it a bit more boring (ie electrical, HVAC, insulation, drywall etc). I'll try to get some more pics uploaded for here.

Here's another teaser (hint: it's on its side and is not the correct color):
MHLspiralprefit2.jpg

Last edited:
I love 'em but I heard they can be pretty fussy to install. Good luck!

-Mac

That silver thing in the last picture? This is what it REALLY looks like after the trip to the powdercoater:

MHLspiral1.jpg

MHLspiral2.jpg

MHLspiral3.jpg

The Motorhead Lounge is taking shape!

And Mac, it was harder to maneuver it in place for the test fitting than to actually install it. This is custom built & all welded into one piece! It makes nary a sound when walking up or down and is SOLID! (My wife won't climb most of the kit spirals 'cause they're so rickety, but she's been up and down this one several times already!)

Very nice! Speaking of the wife, how's she doing?

-Mac

Mac,

I'm sitting right next to her so I asked her!

"Well. I'm on tranquilizers to combat the stress from the renovations; I'm so tired I've fallen asleep with a glass of soda in my hand (insert a change of linens here); yesterday Bill left for work as the world's best husband and returned in the afternoon as the devil incarnate (that's hormones/mood swings); every time I want to take a nap another worker shows up at the door. Any other questions?"

Nope. ;help

Here's a couple of pics of the back corner of the garage (the 2nd story windows are the Motorhead Lounge).

A little background: The original stucco contractor disappeared after the end of May (with about 80% of his estimate $$ as well) and has not been seen or heard from since. A neighbor came to me in July who is also a stucco contractor (RT Stucco LLC) and wanted to "make in right" (anyone ever seen "Holmes on Homes"?) so he gave me a very fair price. (He's also now a client!) He actually cut/ground off all the window sills, ripped off the old banding and replaced everything with new (and correct) work!

Before RT (sorta - the sills and old bands are off):

stuccobefore.jpg

...and after:

stuccoafter.jpg

WOW :eek What a difference!

Maybe you can see that the old bands were placed around the rough openings - waay too far out from the windows and doors. Rick and his crew rebuilt the bands (using better materials and foam backing) nearer the installed windows and doors. The only down side is that I gotta paint it now.

Yesterday some concrete pads were poured by the outside doors. We're inching closer!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom